which rolling-block is this?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
saipan59

which rolling-block is this?

Post by saipan59 »

Hi, In the museum where I work, they have this pistol, which I think is a Remington rolling-block.
I'm sorry that the attached picture is poor - it is closed up in a case that will require tools to open (but I may do that).
Features that did not seem "common" to me are: round bead front sight; rib around the muzzle; lanyard attachment on the butt.
The caliber is .50, or very close to that (based on eyeballing through the glass).
I'm looking for confirmation that it's a Remington, and which specific model if possible.
Thanks in advance for any comments!
Pete
billt

Re: which rolling-block is this?

Post by billt »

Hello Pete,
I do not believe that pistol is a Remington rolling block. Nothing like this is in the Remington Rolling Block Pistols book by Jerry Landskron. I believe it may be of foreign manufacture or possibly a gunsmith creation. In addition to your observations about the barrel, front sight and lanyard post the frame on a Remington rolling block has a top strap which is a part of the frame and a bottom strap which is a part of the trigger guard which is held in place with two pins. The grip is in one piece with a slot on the top and bottom in which the two straps are positioned and held in place with a screw. On the museum pistol the frame looks to be a part of the frame and the grips are in two pieces, which are held in place with a screw. On the Remington rolling block there will be patent stamps on the left side of the frame. I found a pistol similar to the one you inquired about on the Internet. It was sold at auction in December 2016 by switzersauction.com, which is a Canadian auction house. The description listed it as “ANTIQUE DISPLAY ROLLING BLOCK PISTOL. I have attached the pictures from the auction.

Regards,

Bill
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.07.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.07.02 PM.png (571.15 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.06.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.06.50 PM.png (663.32 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
saipan59

Post by saipan59 »

Thanks so much Bill!
I guess it's time to bust open the case to get a better look...
Not sure when I can arrange that, but I'll report back when it's done.

Pete
Eskilgh

Post by Eskilgh »

Hi this is most likely European.
http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesRemington.html

Best reg.
Eskil
Best regard
Eskil
Revolver kind of guy :D
saipan59

Post by saipan59 »

Thanks very much! That French model looks quite similar.
BTW, the curator at the museum is not very interested in opening the case at this time (it's difficult), so there may not be any further info from me on it...

Pete