Request for New Model Army serial number

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Biffin-1870

Request for New Model Army serial number

Post by Biffin-1870 »

Hello,
I just registered and allready have a request.
Two weeks ago I purchased a Remington New Model revolver and after
throughout cleaning up I found different markings.
Serial number seems to be 36483, and on the trigger guard and left side of
the receiver frame the letter "C". On the grip frame, in addition to the SN,
are the letters "GV", and a "W" is on the barrel. There is also a very fadded cartouche on the left side grip which is almost unreadable.
On top of the barrel the pattent date and Remington's manufacture adress.
As I'm from France, I think this revolver is part of the armement bought by
the french governement during the 1870 war vs Prussia. Would any of you have some information concerning the date of manufacture of this revolver and its becomings ? Thank you.
billt

Re: Request for New Model Army serial number

Post by billt »

Hello Biffin,
Welcome to the forum. Your revolver was manufactured in September of 1863. The letters found stamped on the major parts are inspection stamps. Once the revolver passed inspection the principle sub-inspector would stamp his cartouche on the left grip indicating the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department. I know that the French Government purchased surplus Remington Revolvers during the 1970 war but I know of no records, which state when or how many were purchased. Is your revolver still in its percussion form or has it been converted to cartridge?

Bill
Biffin-1870

Re: Request for New Model Army serial number

Post by Biffin-1870 »

Hello Bill,
Thank you very much for thise informations, and especially the date of manufacture which eventually means that my Remington could have seen service during the civil war.
It is still in its percussion form. I intend to post a pair of photos before/after when the restoration is completed, and will also try to get some more information based on still to find records.
Jacques