Early New Model Army - odd front sight and loading arm latching assembly

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Webbm

Early New Model Army - odd front sight and loading arm latching assembly

Post by Webbm »

I have an early New Model Army, one of the few with a barrel address that does not include the words New Model. It has an odd front sight and loading ram and latch. I assumed they were left over parts from Beals or Elliot Army models, but I have not been able to find references to them in Ware. Anyone know what they are?
Attachments
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d70.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d70.jpg (140.62 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
BLYhrq2DQeSKDk1x2JiQog_thumb_1d3b.jpg
BLYhrq2DQeSKDk1x2JiQog_thumb_1d3b.jpg (129.63 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d49.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d49.jpg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
billt

Re: Early New Model Army - odd front sight and loading arm latching assembly

Post by billt »

Hello,
I suspect they are period field replacements fabricated by a gunsmith probably because the sight, latch post and loading lever got damaged. The Beals Armies, Old Model Armies and transition New Model Armies had dovetailed cone front sights, which I believe were made of German silver so it would have been fairly easy to knock out the old sight, cut and shape a piece of brass and tap it back in place. I believe all of the Army revolvers had a screw in latch post. From the picture yours looks like it too was dovetailed into the barrel probably because the original threads were damaged. It also looks like it may be made of brass. The loading lever also seems to be a replacement. The Remington levers have a pin, which is flush with the lever to keep the spring-loaded catch in place.

Bill
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

What Bill said....Gunsmith/Blacksmith replacement.....Jim
Webbm

Post by Webbm »

Thank you gentlemen. This NMA saw some hard use, and gunsmith fabricated substitute parts make sense. The cylinder also has a different serial number. Someone really wanted to keep this revolver working. It must have been one of their favorites. The auction house that sold it to me did not identify or explain the odd parts. They listed it as a transitional, in spite of the barrel address and the serial number (26156) on the bottom of the barrel, the left grip frame and trigger guard tab.
billt

Post by billt »

The thing that makes it a transitional revolver is the original cone front sight and the two-line barrel address without the “New Model”. As for the serial number on the cylinder, Remington did not as a rule serialize their cylinders. According to Don Ware if the cylinders were marked some hand fitting was required to get the revolver to function properly. The cylinder was marked in order to match the cylinder to the frame after the bluing process. I have seen some cylinders with the complete serial number, some with partial serial numbers and some with unrelated numbers.

Bill