Remington model 1858 part info

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Alan65Mustang

Remington model 1858 part info

Post by Alan65Mustang »

Hello Gang !
I have a model 1858 Remington .44 Cal. S/N 23999. Not sure of mfg. date. This has been in our family for more than 70 years.. Sadly sometime in 1950's my older brother did the deed, and tried firing it with wrong powder etc. Result, I'm sure you have all heard this kind of story, was a cylinder blown apart. Luck for him there was only one cylinder loaded. The frame itself is still solid. I am trying to piece it back together as original as possible ( not for firing of course ! ) My problem lies in missing parts and questionable part fitting. One: I would like to find an original cylinder of course. Two: the barrel lever latch ( Stud ) that screws into the barrel appears to be a threaded 1/4-20 hole. Most reproductions are possibly a number 12 screw type. I don't know if the existing threaded hole was a modification or another original version of the stud. Any insight or direction to find the correct parts would be Super appreciated !!!
aardq

Re: Remington model 1858 part info

Post by aardq »

Welcome to the forum. Your serial was made in May of 1863. You should list the parts that you need. If just one chamber was blown out, you could display the pistol with that chamber hidden. You should try Dixie Gun Works for parts. They are on line at: www.dixiegunworks.com there are several other sources for parts. You may have to get an original loading lever stud to check the thread and pitch. Maybe someone with that info will jump in and tell us.
Good luck with the restoration.
Alan65Mustang

Re: Remington model 1858 part info

Post by Alan65Mustang »

Thanks very much for the reply, and mfg date. every tidbit is gratefully accepted !!