Odd Proof Mark

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Webbm

Odd Proof Mark

Post by Webbm »

I have a New Model Army with five odd proof marks. Does anyone know what they are and where they're from?
Attachments
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cc0.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cc0.jpg (212.87 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cbc.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cbc.jpg (126.54 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
billt

Re: Odd Proof Mark

Post by billt »

Hello,
Those are inspection marks made by Ordnance Department inspectors. Once the factory had a supply of revolvers ready for shipment, a team of inspectors was sent to the factory to inspect the revolvers. When the major parts passed inspection the inspector stamped his initial on the part. If all of the parts of the revolver passed inspection the principal sub-inspector stamped his cartouche on the left grip indicating the revolver had been accepted by the Ordnance Department. If your revolver does not have a cartouche it was probably worn off during its life. There should also be inspection marks on the frame, cylinder, trigger guard and on the barrel by the frame.

Bill
Webbm

Post by Webbm »

Tx Bill, I'm fairly familiar with the Remington proof marks, which are usually initials, such as W, R, S, or P, and of course cartouches. However, I've never seen these marks on any of the many antique weapons I've inspected. They look like asian symbols. I've searched hundreds of proof mark sheets and publications, and I have not found anything like these. Any additional thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Tx, Mike
Webbm

Post by Webbm »

The New Model Army at issue has standard W proof marks on the left side of the frame behind the hammer and on the trigger guard aft of the trigger. These odd square marks are found on both sides of the frame forward of the cylinder, the left side of the ram lever, and the nipple end of the cylinder. The two piece mark is found only on the bottom of the barrel just forward of the latch post. There are no other proof marks on this weapon. I have another martially marked New Model Army with standard initial proof marks in the places Bill described. This one's a puzzle.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Is it possible that the marks are over stamps of a previous mark? Don't know why this would happen, just tossing it out as a possibility.
billt

Post by billt »

For what it's worth here are some odd marks on some of my NMA's.
P3240094.JPG
P3240094.JPG (3.3 MiB) Viewed 3699 times
P3240092.JPG
P3240092.JPG (2.92 MiB) Viewed 3699 times
P3240091.JPG
P3240091.JPG (2.95 MiB) Viewed 3699 times
P3240086.JPG
P3240086.JPG (2.97 MiB) Viewed 3699 times
P3240098.JPG
P3240098.JPG (2.78 MiB) Viewed 3699 times
Webbm

Post by Webbm »

Thank you all for the input. My take away is that the marks may be odd but not unheard of. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.
Webbm

Post by Webbm »

Dave Anderson of Outdoor Canada agreed with Bill and opined that the marks are probably not proof marks but "ordnance department marks of the sub-inspector who carried out the examination and approved it for military acceptance. However I've been going through books and online searches and can't confirm who the inspector was." He also thought the very faint cartouche on the left grip under the screw head may be BH for Benjamin Hannin.

Again, thanks for all of the input. I appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts.