remington 1858, please help me date it

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
mrwiggins

remington 1858, please help me date it

Post by mrwiggins »

hey guys,

I've got a new found obsession with the old remington revolvers. I'd never paid much attention to them, but i picked an 1858 copy up made by lyman and I'm hooked on them now. I think if I had lived in this era, i'd probably be a remington man as I appreciate the build quality. it also seems like you could carry all 6 cylinders loaded as they have a space for the hammer between cylinders, but correct me if that isn't the case. waiting for a 38 special conversion for the lyman as we speak. what brings me here is a good friend of mine gave me an real Remington 1858 44 caliber. I'd like to figure out when it was made. I don't believe it's worth much as someone cut a dovetail in the rear for a rear sight and changed the front sight. serial is 118125 and I attached a couple of pictures. any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
remington 1858 2.jpg
remington 1858 2.jpg (100.94 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
remington 1858 `1.jpg
remington 1858 `1.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
billt

Re: remington 1858, please help me date it

Post by billt »

Hi,
Remington New Model Army with Serial Number 118125 was manufactured in December of 1864.

Bill
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just so you know Lymann didn't actually make them in case there is a difference in the cylinder. If there's a U on the side of the barrel it's an Ulberti if not it's a Armi San Paolo different years different makers...
That whole cylinder replacement thing is interesting, lucky your not a bad guy :D
mrwiggins

Post by mrwiggins »

billt wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm Hi,
Remington New Model Army with Serial Number 118125 was manufactured in December of 1864.

Bill
awesome thank you!
mrwiggins

Post by mrwiggins »

admin wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 am Just so you know Lymann didn't actually make them in case there is a difference in the cylinder. If there's a U on the side of the barrel it's an Ulberti if not it's a Armi San Paolo different years different makers...
That whole cylinder replacement thing is interesting, lucky your not a bad guy :D
yeah, i did some reasearch and i noticed the uberti mark on the side of the barrel. i'll let you know how the cylinder replacement goes, i opted not to get the ejector rod because it was another 125$, i figure i can keep a screw driver or a dow in my pocket to push out empties. i'm too busy to learn the whole black powder loading and cleaning discipline, so the conversion makes since.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I bought a single stage Lee and pretty much paid for it the first time I used it. I don't normally load but for black powder cartridges it's nasty expensive if you don't. The ammo price doesn't seem bad until you add the hazardous shipping cost. I didn't even prime the first load since I founded primed cases cheaper then I could do it and some local big box carried the Goex.