Remington Smoot Cylinder

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Dadjx2

Remington Smoot Cylinder

Post by Dadjx2 »

I have been unable to find relevant information on how to remove the cylinder of the Remington New Model “Smoot” No.2 revolver (No.1 & No.3 also). I have seen pics of the cylinder removed, however, they are not clear on the process. At first glance, it is not readily apparent on how the cylinder comes out. I have searched other BBs and a common suggestion is to remove the pin at/under the muzzle and pull out the ejector, the spring (which will pop out--it's a compressed spring), and then pull out the cylinder pin. Although, this will work, I thought that there must be another way. I just couldn’t see people doing this, out in the wild - back in the day, for basic cleaning. Well there is a simple way (note to self: duh … knucklehead). Hammer at ½ cocked, push the ejector guide forward (it's part of the cylinder pin), cylinder falls out. Yes it is that simple! There will be resistance because of the tension caused by the spring integrated into the cylinder shaft, additionally, the ejector spring adds resistance too. Simple and effective way to clean and lube. Now it may not be a bad idea, at least once, to remove the pin under the muzzle (early models have a screw) and take the ejector and spring out so the channel can be thoroughly cleaned -- 19th century metal meet 21st century lubricant. Beware, the front sight has been known to rust below the surface and break/fall off, so be gentle if you knock out the pin. In addition, the ejector spring may be broken, depending on how many pieces, it can be put back because the channel “should” hold it in place and function ok. You can, however, find a replacement spring for a few bucks. Just measure it and check eBay for coil – expansion – tension springs. I hope this helps.
DJs1.jpg
DJs1.jpg (350.05 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
DJs2.jpg
DJs2.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1714 times
DJs3.jpg
DJs3.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1714 times