Differences between New Model Army and Navy

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Patbar

Differences between New Model Army and Navy

Post by Patbar »

Hi everybody,
I'd like very much to know precisely the differences between the New Model Army and Navy revolvers (except for the length of the barrel).
Is the size of the frame the same on the two models ? and what about the diameter of the cylinder ?
Thanks for your help.
Patbar

Re: Differences between New Model Army and Navy

Post by Patbar »

Is'nt there anybody able to help me ? I'm really eager to learn about these differences !
billt

Post by billt »

Hi,
The New Model Navy is a smaller version of the New Model Army. The frame, barrel, cylinder, loading lever, cylinder arbor pin and grips are smaller on the Navy. I believe the hammers and trigger guards are the same. If you want to learn about Remington Army and Navy Revolvers get a copy of “Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888” by Don Ware.

Bill
billt

Post by billt »

Hi,
The New Model Navy is a smaller version of the New Model Army. The frame, barrel, cylinder, loading lever, cylinder arbor pin and grips are smaller on the Navy. I believe the hammers and trigger guards are the same. If you want to learn about Remington Army and Navy Revolvers get a copy of “Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888” by Don Ware.

Bill
Patbar

Post by Patbar »

Thanks Bill for pointing out the book written by Donald L. Ware. I got a pdf copy and took a good look at it, but I couldn't find anything about dimensional differences between the army and navy models.
However, the author mentions that, like you wrote, the hammer, trigger and internal parts can interchange between the two, which should mean that the frames are not the same.
Patbar

Post by Patbar »

I finally found someone who owns a New Model Army, and I asked him to take measurements of the frame and cylinder of his gun.
The comparison of these measurements with those of my transitional Navy (manufactured in march 1863) show that these parts are the same, with the only difference being that the diameter of the cylinder of the Navy is of 37,7 millimeters compared to 40 mm on the Army (but the length of this cylinder is the same on the two models).