Original Remington Army Revolver?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
2ndamendmentnut

Original Remington Army Revolver?

Post by 2ndamendmentnut »

Directed here from the good folks over at the cast boolits forum.

I'm helping a dear friend sell off her late father's estate. She brought over this really cool old gun. To me it seems to be a Remington 44cal New Model Army, but in truth I don't know much about Remington revolvers. Is this real or a repo made to look old? Please see pictures. The thing that concerns me is how the bluing on the barrel seems to be brighter than the rest of the gun. Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
image3.jpg
image3.jpg (189.12 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (124.14 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (101 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
2ndamendmentnut

Re: Original Remington Army Revolver?

Additional pictures showing patent information and markings.
Attachments
image6.jpg
image6.jpg (188.53 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
image5.jpg
image5.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
image4.jpg
image4.jpg (169.07 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
2ndamendmentnut

More pictures showing markings on the frame and cylinder.
Attachments
image9.jpg
image9.jpg (158.56 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
image8.jpg
image8.jpg (184.48 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
image7.jpg
image7.jpg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
2ndamendmentnut

One final picture showing the cylinder star and numbers that match the serial number under the barrel.
Attachments
image10.jpg
image10.jpg (193.68 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
billt

Post by billt »

Hello,
From you pictures I would say you have a genuine Remington New Model Army, one of approximately 122,000 accepted by the government during the Civil War. The serial number places the manufacturing date as August 1863. The various letters stamped on the major parts are Ordnance Department inspection marks. A two or three letter cartouche was probably stamped on the left grip indicating the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department. The cartouche may have been worn off throughout the life of the revolver.
In collecting circles this revolver is what is called a Transition Revolver because it has a cone front sight and a two-line barrel address. Remington made three 44-caliber revolvers during the War those being the Beals, the Elliot or Old Model and the New Model. The cone front sight is a carryover from the Beals and Old Model Revolvers. The later New Model Revolvers had a pinched front sight. The first New Model Revolvers had a two-line barrel address like yours. Later ones had the same two-line address with the words New Model stamped between the barrel address and the frame. The final barrel address has three lines, the original two-line address with the words New Model under the original two-line address. Although the transition revolvers are much rarer than the later ones there is no premium for a transition revolver.
Remington did not normally stamp the serial number on the back of the cylinder. A number on the cylinder indicates there was some hand fitting required to get the revolver to function properly and was used to be able to reassemble the revolver with the proper cylinder after the bluing process.
The bluing on the New Model Revolvers is notoriously spotty. I have seen revolvers with minimum wear on which the bluing was flaking off so I would not worry about that. There is a serial number stamped on the frame under the left grip. If that number matches the one on the barrel it means the barrel has not been changed.

I hope this helps,

Bill
2ndamendmentnut

Thank you! That helps explain a lot!

Here is a close up of the left hand grip that I failed to include in my original post. I will carefully remove the grips later this evening to see if the frame is serialized to the barrel.
Attachments
image11.jpg
image11.jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
LoneStarJR

Post by LoneStarJR »

Hello, and thanks for the information on the New Army .44 Percussion; I have attached the following picture of a similar gun that I just inherited from my Dad. He was plowing a field in the 1960's and unearthed this gun. The only visible marking on it (I haven't removed the grips, etc.) is a " W " on the left side of the frame below the hammer. My Dad's notes say 1865 but not sure how that was determined. Please offer any suggestions as to obtaining more information. Thanks.
Attachments
Rem44Percussion1865D.jpg
Rem44Percussion1865D.jpg (187.33 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Rem44Percussion1865.jpg
Rem44Percussion1865.jpg (192.31 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
billt

Post by billt »

Hi,
New Model Army Revolvers were made throughout the Civil War. The only way to date them is from the serial number, which is located on the underside of the barrel, the grip frame under the left grip and on the trigger guard tab. Sometimes the trigger guard tab has only a partial serial number.
Your revolver seems to be the standard New Model Army with the exception that the cylinder pin is a replacement or has been modified and the latch post which secures the loading lever is missing.

Bill
LoneStarJR

Post by LoneStarJR »

Thanks, Bill.
Yes the latch is missing. No telling how long the gun was buried in the field. I am curious as to why the cylinder seems to be much more pitted than the rest of the gun; was it made from a different material ? The only marking on the gun I have found so far is the " W " on the left side. I need to remove the grips and see if by chance a serial number remains. Thanks for the info.