Informations about my 1858 ?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
oam

Informations about my 1858 ?

Post by oam »

Hello from france,
This is my first post (except the guestbook)

I just buy a Remington 1858 and i need your experience.
It's my first original , i have some replicas.

There's no number on the Cylinder, only a "C" on his bottom. There's also a "C" on the Frame.

I think the Loading Lever was missing at a time, that explain the hole in the Frame and in the Cylinder Pin, probably to receive a little pin.
The Loading Lever seems hand made, probably to replace the missing one.
The Hammer Screw of the right grip seems strange too.

Do you think that some of the blueing could be original ?

The serial number is 141242, could you help me to know when it was built ?
I will appreciate any informations about this gun. :)

Thank you.

billt

Re: Informations about my 1858 ?

Post by billt »

Hello,
Welcome to the Forum. Your revolver was in the next to last batch of New Model Armies made and was manufactured in February of 1865. The letters on the frame, barrel and cylinder are government inspection stamps. I agree that the loading lever is a replacement and the holes in the frame and cylinder pin were used to hold a pin which kept the cylinder in place while a replacement lever could be fabricated. The lanyard post and ring is also an aftermarket installation as Remington did not ship New Model Armies to the Ordnance Department with lanyard rings. It is difficult to tell if the bluing is original without seeing the gun.

I hope this information helps.

Bill
oam

Post by oam »

Hello bill,
Thank you for this informations, you help me a lot.

I'm looking for informations about the 20.000 1858 that where sold to the French army during the 1870 war. It's possible that this Rem came to France at this moment.
billt

Post by billt »

I am not sure of the total number of New Model Armies, which were sent to France during the 1870 war. I do know that Remington traded the Ordnance Department 5000 Model 1871 Rolling Block Pistols for 5000 unissued New Model Army Revolvers in February of 1871. Although there is not any documentation that I know of as to the disposition of the revolvers, many Remington collectors believe they went to France. Yours being among the last ones manufactured could very well have been among those revolvers.

Bill
oam

Post by oam »

Thank you again Bill, i Will looking for informations about this.
For now, i have a gun case to make :wink: