A few questions about a Model 1863

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
jimgw

A few questions about a Model 1863

Post by jimgw »

I have some questions about a Model 1863 I have.

From what I can gather, it was accepted as part of the February 1864 shipment.

The numbers on the frame, barrel, cylinder and triggerguard match, and the cartouche is present although faint.

The spring on the hand is broken, and it seems that someone took it apart at some time to see if they could fix it, and in the process the trigger, bolt, and some other internal parts have been lost to history.

I have the parts on order, and will see if I can get it back together; even if I never fire it, I would like it to operate properly.

I don't see any signs that the gun has been worked on (other than dings/nicks from disassembly), but the stamp on top of the barrel is very faint. I haven't seen many of these, so wondering if that is common?

I've attached some photos, so any input is welcome.

billt

Re: A few questions about a Model 1863

Post by billt »

Hello,
It would help identifying the date of manufacture if you included the serial number. If it falls between 54586 and 59205 it would have been in the February 1864 shipment. The barrel address varies some being quite deep and others faint. It also depends on the amount of use the revolver had during its life. Yours having no finish has seen a lot of use but does not seem to have been abused.

Bill
jimgw

Post by jimgw »

Serial is 555xx

I'm looking forward to fitting the bolt and hand, my intent is not to disturb the hammer at all if I can avoid that.

It looks as an Uberti bolt and hand is what is available, so that's what I will start with. I may see if I can fabricate a spring for the original hand, as I'd rather not change a component unless I have to.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Have you tried Dixie Gun Works for parts? Another source is Jim Shaffer, 412-672-6830. You can also post a WTB in the RSA journal on on this site.
jimgw

Post by jimgw »

I sourced the parts from S&S.

They had an original trigger, so that is one I am happy about. While the bolt will be a repro, it is 95% internal. At least the visible trigger will be correct. Hoping to receive the parts today.

I did call and leave a message at the number to see about any original parts that might be available; but haven't heard back yet.
jimgw

Post by jimgw »

Well, that was a bit of a disappointment. The parts from S&S arrived, and the following are my observations.

The original Trigger is nice, and the "Trigger and Bolt Spring Screw" and the "Trigger and Bolt Spring" went right in.

The hole in the Hand was a bit to small, so emery cloth wrapped around a toothpick and slow work to fit it to the original Hand Screw. Seems like it was a good fit, but may need a tweak later.

The "Cylinder Bolt" doesn't look close to the one pictured, and is pretty wide. It doesn't fit the cylinder lock grooves. I realize this may need to be worked to fit, but for now I am holding off because:

The "trigger and bolt stop screw" seems completely wrong, it won't pass through the hole in the original Trigger, "Cylinder bolt" or the frame of the revolver.

As I was poking around the web, I came across a place that was selling what were described as "New old stock made in America by the C. H. Weisz company." Specifically made to fit original revolvers per the place.

So, I ordered a set of the parts from them, and we will see if they are a better set that the ones above.
jimgw

Post by jimgw »

Of course, a day after ordering the parts from Lodgewood, I got a reply to my call to Jim Shaffer!

So, I ordered an original "Cylinder Bolt" and "Trigger and Cylinder Bolt Screw". He also has original "hand" for it, but the Uberti reproduction one fit well enough. Might still get the original hand, as a restoration/repair with original is always better in my book.

The parts from Lodgewood arrived, and they are a much better fit than the ones from S&S. After about 1.5 hours of fitting (file a little, reassemble, disassemble, and repeat), it looks like all is working properly.

https://vimeo.com/187036361

Now the question; do I fit the original parts when I receive them, or just hold them on the side. I lean towards fitting them, and getting the original Hand as well; but the parts are all internal.
aardq

Post by aardq »

If you want to shoot it, use the repo parts. If it won't be shot, then I'd use the original parts.
Good luck
jbw

Post by jbw »

Corrct me if I am wrong, but to me it looks like a model 1858.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jbw wrote:Corrct me if I am wrong, but to me it looks like a model 1858.
These are far from my bag of tee but it's definitely not a 58 (Beals)

I think there might have been a lot of transitions on 61's but I've never seen a 58 without a cone sight and they only made around 2,000. (or I just put my foot in it) :shock:
jbw

Post by jbw »

Had a look in Robert Ball's Remington book. The Beals (1860-1862) had a slimmer loading lever, the '61 (1862-1863) cone silver front sight and some had a taller hammer, the '58 or '63 (1863-1875) round to blade front sight, as replika known as model '58, but here as '63 (http://www.american-firearms.com/americ ... 0Sons.html)