Dating a 1858 Army 8" 1244298 Cartouche K

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
mgarard

Dating a 1858 Army 8" 1244298 Cartouche K

Post by mgarard »

I am looking to find the manufacture date, it appears to be the Army issue as it is the 8" barrel. How do I determine value. It is in very good - excellent condition. Thank you so much for your help.

Marjorie
billt

Re: Dating a 1858 Army 8" 1244298 Cartouche K

Post by billt »

Hello Marjorie,
I suspect you may have inadvertently typed an extra number in your serial number. Remington New Model Army serial numbers stopped in the 148,000 range. If, as I suspect, you double hit the 4 and the number is actually 124298 the revolver was made in December of 1864. If the number were between 124350 and 132800 it would have been made in January of 1865. As far as value is concerned it is almost impossible to get an accurate number without actually seeing the revolver.
“Flayderman’s Guide to Antique American Firearms and their values” is the standard resource in determining values. The condition standards in descending order are; Factory New, Excellent, Fine, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor. You think you revolver is between Very Good and Excellent which is a very large range. Flayderman’s defines Excellent as – all original parts; over 80 percent original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore. Fine is defined as – all original parts; over 30 percent original finish; sharp lettering numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks on wood; good bore. Very Good – all original parts; none to 30 percent original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors. Flayderman’s lists a value of Good at $700 and a value of Fine at $2500 and does not have a price for Very Good or Excellent. If your definition of Very Good and Excellent condition correspond to Flayderman’s your revolvers value would be over $700 to over $2500. One other thing to remember is Flayderman’s most current issue is the 9th and was published in 2007 and may not be accurate due to fluctuating gun prices but it is a good starting point. One other thing you could do is go to one of the web sites (gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com) and see what New Model Armies in a condition similar to yours are selling for. Gun Broker is an auction site while on Guns America the guns are for sale at the stated price.

I hope I was of some help,

Bill