Hand replace and fitting ( NM 1861 .44 )

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Oyeboten

Hand replace and fitting ( NM 1861 .44 )

Post by Oyeboten »

My 1861 New Model ( described a few posts below ) was missing the Hand when I got it.

I found an original 'NOS' ( never fitted, un used ) Hand, but it is an earlier one which has a threaded hole.

Rather than ream that out, I thought I would try a Uberti Hand, so, I sent off for one.

The Uberti Hand is about 1/32nd of an inch shorter...but I had imagined the original Remington hand might be over size to allow for fitting.

I installed the Uberti Hand, the the Revolver was what one might call "Locked up", if I sort of teased the Trigger, pulling 'medium' hard pull over and over, it will cock some of the time but did not feel right.

So, thinking about this and trying to figure out what to do, I remover the Uberti Hand and I rounded the top of it and the front edge so it would more nicely fit the sort of 'half cone' depressions of the Cylinder rear and so it would 'rock' so to speak against the straight edge of the half cone base lip while rotating the Cyliner.

I did that, and re installed the Hand, and now it cocks perfectly! Snooth, noce satisfying 'clicks', good feel.

I meant to snap an image of the end of the now 'fitted' Hand before I installed it, and I forgot to.

I failed entirely to find any informaiton at all on the world wide web, about fitting a Remington Hand, so, I did what seemed to make sense to me from pondering it.

So, if anyone is facing a similar situation, of wishing to use a new Uberti Hand in an original 1861 New Model .44, I thought I would pass this along.