Remington Rider Pocket Conversion

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
topshot

Remington Rider Pocket Conversion

Post by topshot »

I have a nickel plated engraved Remington Rider Pocket Conversion, double action, that I am researching and would welcome any help or advice. The first ones (1860) were black powder and had a "mushroom" cylinder for the percussion caps. Remington took some of them in and converted them to cartridge by replacing the cylinder and re-working the hammer. Then in 1863 or so they started releasing them as cartridge guns right out of the factory. I would like to know if there is a way to determine if this gun was converted or if it left the factory as an original cartridge gun. The one I have is approx 60-70% of original. The grips are GP or hard rubber depending on who you talk to. The really interesting thing about this gun is the serial number. It's "1". I'm interested about any opinions about that as well. The cylinder is numbered 757 and the cartridge retainer is numbered "757" on one side and across is numbered "1" with a bit of a mis-strike. Is anyone familiar with this firearm?
Attachments
Dan Spurling Gun2.jpg
Dan Spurling Gun2.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2481 times
Serial Number on frame and barrel
Serial Number on frame and barrel
rem3small.jpg (201.99 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
rem1small.jpg
rem1small.jpg (195.44 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Last edited by admin on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added photo
Topshot
CALIBRE44

Re: Remington Rider Pocket Conversion

Post by CALIBRE44 »

topshot; IMHO....It does appear that you truly have sn 1. It would have been made as a percussion model indicated by the capping groove on the right side. Later converted to cartridge, cylinder and plate number 757, with a 1 indicating they were made for this gun, sn #1.
Later models made for cartridges, lacked the capping groove.
Robert Ball's book Remington Firearms, pictures the exact engraving style that yours has on page 33, serial number 19. So, most likely factory. ....Jim
topshot

Post by topshot »

Thanks for the info. I am still investigating these revolvers. Is there any point in contacting Remington for any information they might have?
Topshot
topshot

Post by topshot »

Here are the pictures of the cylinder and cap. I hope.
Attachments
Cylinder small.jpg
Cylinder small.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Cylinder cap 2 small.jpg
Cylinder cap 2 small.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Topshot
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Topshot; Remington is a waist of time, more info here with the experts.

I have 2 of those models, both later versions, no cap groves. Both near mint, "conversion" cylinder and ring have matching numbers, but, both are different from the serial numbers on the gun. So. it appears Remington, as with there other models, payed no attention to serial numbers and cylinder numbers matching.......Jim