White / Yellow grips on Over / Under .41 Derringer?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Capt Thomas

White / Yellow grips on Over / Under .41 Derringer?

Post by Capt Thomas »

Hello all, my first post as I have just joined. I have inherited the family collection which includes several of the .41 Over / Under Derringers and I have question about grips. I have never seen a set of white / yellow . cream color grips on a Remington Derringer. Not they don't exist or aren't original I have jest never seen or heard of any. Was there such an animal from the factory? They appear to be very close if not identical to the black grips and appear to have the correct grip screw inserts...... are these original?
Attachments
Left side
Left side
Remington lft..jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
Right side
Right side
Remington rt..jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: White / Yellow grips on Over / Under .41 Derringer?

Post by admin »

Those things are called "Escutcheons" and I can never spell them right without looking it up ;)

And IMHO those are not originals, I'll also move this post out of rifles to pistols. :D
Capt Thomas

Post by Capt Thomas »

admin wrote:Those things are called "Escutcheons" and I can never spell them right without looking it up ;)

And IMHO those are not originals, I'll also move this post out of rifles to pistols. :D

Ooops........ sorry for the incorrect location, thanks for moving. I was thinking they may not be original but the escutcheons look factory correct and they are old. Close to period if not original. Have you ever seen or heard of grips that look like this that are factory correct?

Capt. Thomas
Johnboat 225

Post by Johnboat 225 »

Are they natural? One way to test is to get a hot soldering iron or gun and briefly and gently touch the inside of one panel. Natural won't melt. They glisten like pearl but I don't recall ever seeing checkered pearl grips. Interesting and they look nice and old too.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Those are probably plastic grips made in the 1950s or 60s. Mother of Pearl is too brittle to checker, an d real ivory doesn't have the color pattern that those grips have. Remington escutcheons have three small points equally spaced around the circumference so I believe that the escutcheons came with the grips and aren't original.