Need Help Dating this Remington Revolver Frame

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
JWHI7830

Need Help Dating this Remington Revolver Frame

Post by JWHI7830 »

Hey all, first post here, really excited to become a part of this community, so I guess I will fire my first question out. I have an old revolver frame found in my great-grandpa's basement, that seemingly has the "PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1958" on it but it isn't truely discernable. It also has the cylinder with the percussion style, but no inscriptions in that. The only thing that I can honestly provide it that it is an 8" barrel with a "461" inprinted along the bottom and another "461" on the steel at the bottom of the grip. It looks alot like the "Remington-Beals Army Model Revolver", but yet again google images only gets me so far. Any help that you guys have would be greatly appreciated!
billt

Re: Need Help Dating this Remington Revolver Frame

Post by billt »

Hi,
The barrel address on a Beal’s Revolver consists of two lines “BEAL’S PATENT SEPT. 14, 1858 / MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTONS’ ILION, N.Y.”
The barrel address of a New Model can be one of three types. A two-line address consisting of “PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858 / E. REMINGTON AND SONS. ILION, N.Y. U.S.A.” The second one is the same as the first with the words “NEW MODEL” stamped between the two-line address and the breech end of the barrel. The third is a three line address consisting of the two-line address with a third line under the two-line consisting of the words “NEW MODEL”.
The 8 inch barrel is consistent with all three Army Size Revolvers (Beal’s, Elliot and New Model).
The 461 is the serial number which is also consistent with the Beal’s Army Revolver. Approximately 1900 were manufactured.
Are the barrel threads visible in front of the cylinder? If so it is a Beal’s frame.

I hope this helps,

Bill
JWHI7830

Post by JWHI7830 »

billt wrote: Are the barrel threads visible in front of the cylinder? If so it is a Beal’s frame.
Thank you so much! Looking from the detached cylinder, correct? Because, yes, it is. And if it is a Beal revolver, what does it mean for the value? (If I'm allowed to ask) And thanks again. :)
billt

Post by billt »

I made a mistake in my last post about the barrel threads. What I meant to say was on the Beal's frame the barrel threads are not visible when the cylinder is mounted in the frame. Remington found that on the Beal's revolver powder would build up in front of the cylinder between the frame and cylinder causing rotation of the cylinder to be difficult. On the Elliot and New Model revolvers the frame is relieved in front of the cylinder exposing the barrel threads on those two models.

Sorry about the error.
JWHI7830

Post by JWHI7830 »

Thanks again. It is NOT visible when the cylinder is in, but when I take it out I can see it. So does this mean it is a Beal?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JWHI7830 wrote:
billt wrote: Are the barrel threads visible in front of the cylinder? If so it is a Beal’s frame.
Thank you so much! Looking from the detached cylinder, correct? Because, yes, it is. And if it is a Beal revolver, what does it mean for the value? (If I'm allowed to ask) And thanks again. :)
It's not "against the rules to ask" however it's often very difficult to give values without firearm in hand...
JWHI7830

Post by JWHI7830 »

I'm searching more for just a reference as to prices. Anyone that could provide any prices on these guns would be greatly appreciated.
billt

Post by billt »

Yes I believe your revolver is a Beal's Army. Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms lists a non-martial revolver worth $1150 if it is in good condition and $3750 if it is in fine condition.

Bill
JWHI7830

Post by JWHI7830 »

Thanks again so much Bill. One last question how would one determine whether or not the revolver was martial and what does this mean?
billt

Post by billt »

A martially marked revolver is one that has been accepted by the Government Ordinance Department. There will be small letters stamped on the major parts of the revolver (frame, barrel, trigger guard, cylinder and sometimes the loading lever and the bottom of the grips). It will also have a cartouche stamped usually only on the left grip but sometimes on both grips. In the case of the Beal’s Army revolvers only about 750 were martially marked and these were above the serial number 725.
remington500

Another 1858 dating question for billt......

Post by remington500 »

So glad to have found this forum. Have an 1858 New Army with serial number 92050.

Can you give me an approximate date of manufacture/issue?

Also (and please pardon my lack of basic knowledge), was this firearm only issued to military units? In other words, could a civilian have purchased this weapon when new?

Sincere thanks for any help.
billt

Post by billt »

Your revolver was manufactured in August of 1864. Most of the New Model Armies went to the Government, however some, which would not pass the inspection requirements were sold to the civilian market through Remington dealers.
remington500

Post by remington500 »

Much thanks for the information and speedy reply. You made my day.
donaldt

Post by donaldt »

Very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I have a Beals serial number 14170. It is marked with the letter "c" and does have a faint cartouche on the let grip. All serial numbers match (under barrel, trigger guard, and grip frame). Any help dating my revolver is appreciated. I think Beals is also a Navy 36 Cal.
dt
billt

Post by billt »

Hello Donald,
Your revolver was manufactured in June of 1862. The Beals Revolvers were made in both 36 and 44 calibers. There were approximately 2000 Army (44 caliber) and 15000 Navy (36 caliber) revolvers made. Yours with serial number 14170 is a 36 caliber.

Bill