Help I am traveling and found RB I can't ID with my RB books

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
wsmrto

Help I am traveling and found RB I can't ID with my RB books

Post by wsmrto »

I need some help ASAP I have my RB military but I am sure this is a civilian special order. I could not take pics but here is the info: Short carbine with a hex or oct half barrel. Hex to the end of forestock, then round barrel to muzzle, with a steel nose cap at end of forestock. Last Pat date is 17 April 1868. The ft sight base is about 1/2 inch wide in a dovetail. the ft sight is broken off. There are no markings at all as to cal. just the tang marks. the breechblock is centerfire and the barrel is in the 30 to 38 cal size. It was tagged as a 7mm but that would just roll through. I have many my gunsmith tools with me as I'm taking summer NRA GS classes at Trinidad Colorado and off this week looking all over for oldies. Please let me find out what I have found as it's is still in VG condition with some CCH on rcvr and blue on barrel.
Dixiejack

Re: Help I am traveling and found RB I can't ID with my RB b

Post by Dixiejack »

Photographs would really help. I could be wrong, but I don't think Remington made hex to round bbls. Octagon to round sounds more feasible. Your description is lacking a lot of information. Does it have a saddle ring attached to the receiver? What does the stock look like? A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you had the fore end off to see if there are any markings? Good luck in your search.
Never mind the mule, just load the wagon.