Family revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
2redcars

Family revolver

Post by 2redcars »

Hello folks, I am the placeholder for this ornately engraved 1858 Army revolver and I would like some hints to finding out when it was made or any other cool information about it. I have attached a few pictures for reference. If you need photos from a different perspective, just ask. Please instruct me with kindness because I am not an gun enthusiast and I am looking into this revolver for my mother in law.

Thanks!
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 2495 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Family revolver

Post by admin »

Would need a serial number.
Very interesting....
billt

Post by billt »

Hello, I have an idea about your revolver. Could you look on the under side of the barrel and tell us the serial number.

Thanks,

Bill
karu

Post by karu »

Hello,
What a beautifull gun!!
If I could help Bill, I would say ;
This gun was purchased and issued to the State of New Jersey in 1864.
The contract was for 1.000 Remington's Army revolvers and appendages (screw driver & cone wrench).
The letters N.J was stamped by the armorer at the state arsenal, in order to identify them as state property.
There were two set of dies used for this purpose, one quite larger than the other.
Your gun seems to have the second variation N.J stamp, located only on the barrel (not on the frame below the cylinder).
Remington's Army revolvers purchased by the State of New Jersey for issue to state militia have serial numbers between 58.0000/75.0000.
It was certainly engraved after the war.

What a lovely gun.. :shock:
Karu