Where to find old style 16ga bbl for 870?

Wanted to Buy Post - 1898 Remington Firearms
faithfarms

Where to find old style 16ga bbl for 870?

Post by faithfarms »

Looking for an old style bbl for a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 16 ga, 2 3/4" shotgun. I bought the action & a bbl at auction, but the bbl did not fit when I put them together. I bought a modern 870 bbl & it would not allow the action to close. The action hit the end of the bbl. I was told Rem initially used old mod 58 bbls that were modified to fit the early 870's. These do not have the tapered end that the newer ones have. The chamber end of the bbl appears to have a ring around it. I saw a picture once, but never saw one in person. Any thoughts on where to get a bbl so I can shoot this great piece of history?
mosesgt@hughes.net
faithfarms

Re: Where to find old style 16ga bbl for 870?

Post by faithfarms »

no thoughts from the Remington wizards? I just bought a bbl w/ the two part bbl & it did the same thing.
tommyt

Post by tommyt »

What is last letter in serial number? May not be a 16 ga. action
faithfarms

Post by faithfarms »

"V" as in Victor. It is a 6 digit number w/ the V at the end. the magazine tube is too small for 12 ga & too big for 20ga, so I assumed it was 16ga. Does that match the letter?
Thanks for responding! God Bless!
tommyt

Post by tommyt »

:D FAITHFARM V is for 12ga. 2 3/4' W is for 16ga. ALL 16GA. BARRELS WILL INTERCHANGE on the right receiver. About the barrels with a ring, an old Remington rep told me they were old REMINGTON 31 BARRELS that were left over when they started making 870's. They threade a piece on end, added the ring on barrel, attached the piece that secures barrel to magazine tube. Hope this helps
faithfarms

Post by faithfarms »

Well, that may be my problem! Thank you very much. I had heard a similar story about the old Rem bbls, so it is probably true. Thanks for your help. God Bless!
George
tommyt wrote::D FAITHFARM V is for 12ga. 2 3/4' W is for 16ga. ALL 16GA. BARRELS WILL INTERCHANGE on the right receiver. About the barrels with a ring, an old Remington rep told me they were old REMINGTON 31 BARRELS that were left over when they started making 870's. They threade a piece on end, added the ring on barrel, attached the piece that secures barrel to magazine tube. Hope this helps
jeep

Post by jeep »

Yes true old m31 barrels modifed into 870 barrels. The first corncobbs were m31 too.
faithfarms

Post by faithfarms »

Thanks every one. I finally took it to a gunsmith. The problem was the weapon was bent! He some how straightened it & any bbl fits now!