721 extractor?

Wanted to Buy Post - 1898 Remington Firearms
DanWalling

721 extractor?

Post by DanWalling »

My grandfather bought it new in 1957. It's been a well-loved, but well-used farm implement since. Last night around midnight, I tried to shoot a couple coyotes that were moving towards the barn, but the old girl failed to close. I saw that there was a c-shaped piece of metal keeping the lugs from engaging.

I fished it out, and found it was half of the snap-ring looking thing on the face of the bolt that grips the shells and pulls them out. It had finally fatigued in two.

It looks like something I could replace myself. The extractor? Is that right? Anyone have one they want to sell?

Please let me know if I am on the right track. I have an old Husquavarna Mauser action 30-06 to shoot dogs with in the meantime, but I miss my 721 30-06 already.

-d-
George Tucker

Post by George Tucker »

Dan, to put a extractor in the bolt, is not to complicated, after you find one, they make a tool for staking it in, ive done a couple yrs ago, but i borrowed the tool to do it, if you know any GunSmiths, they might help you out, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

I was told that they have not been available for some 25 years now.

Your only two options are to either buy a used bolt for a model 700 and have it machined to fit the model 721 or you can buy a extractor clip for a model 700 and have the bolt machined to hold the clip.

The model 721, was just a interfearance fit where as the model 700 was riveted into the bolt.

I had same problem 25 years ago and contacted just about everyone that had anything to do with the 721 and nobody had one for sale.

At that time Remington offered to sell me a bolt and machine it for $75
Which was a lot of money back then. Especially when the extractor was not worth more than $5!

Most machinists want about $100 to repair your gun.

The gun its self is only worth about $250!

Here is the E Mail address of a forum member that specializes in that sort of procedure.

parts@parts4guns.com - Ray V. Greg
George Tucker

Post by George Tucker »

LoLo Sporting goods had a couple of them a couple yrs ago, they are in Lewiston Idaho, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

I contacted LOLO Sporting Goods and they said the same thing - NOS

Not on Stock!

Try back in 30 days.
George Tucker

Post by George Tucker »

You might try Jim Hoffman, he was the GunSmith at LoLo Sporting Goods for 50yrs, he left there when it Sold, he has his shop at home now, he is in Lewiston Idaho also, a nother GunSmith who might have one is Shawn Thomason in Craigmont Idaho, Shawns # is 208-924-5335, Jims # is 208-746-1469, if theres any around, they should know, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

Do you know what they are going to tell you?

They do not have one and they have not seen one on the market for the last 20 years.

Gunsmiths do not bring items home with them because that costs money.

Most gunsmiths will order a part when you need it and by that time money will not be a object. Because a broken gun is not worth much.

You will pay what ever they ask and be glad to have it repaired.

That was one of the biggest mistakes that Remington ever made when they quit making replacement parts for the guns that they made over 40 years ago.

The prime time for a gun part to break is when it gets 20 to 30 years old.
George Tucker

Post by George Tucker »

As for not being any around, i bought 2 of them in the last 5yrs, but because you know so much more than i do, i guess we are threw with this discussion, i had my own GunSmith Shop for 30yrs, i closed it when i Retired from the HyWay Dept, only do my own stuff now, good luck on your quest, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member
Marty Jones

Post by Marty Jones »

Another option you might consider, is to have a Sako extractor installed. I took a 721 to Shawn Thomason a year or so ago to have this done, but he happened to have a 721 extractor on hand, and he might have another. I know this is an old thread, but just in case you're still looking....
Marty Jones
jdhunter1977

Re: 721 extractor?

Post by jdhunter1977 »

Found the original Model 721 extractors , standards and smalls through Out Back Gun Parts (812) 945-0480 , I got mine, get them while there are still some available.