Remington Rolling Block

Sign the guestbook

Remington Rolling Block

Post by Guest »

I have recently been given a rifle and was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. :? It was inherited and I don't know much about it. :oops: It is a rolling block w/ Pat. dates May 30 Nov 15th 1864 April 17th 1866 Aug. 1867 Nov 7th 1871. It has a B on left side of trigger housing, an S on left of barrel and U on right. All 3 bands have B on right. Rear and mid band have H on left, front band has S. It has a rifled bore and 9 possition rear sight on rear of barrel (not on stock). Metal butt cap has an H on top and what appears to be a later larger I stamped in it. Butt stock has multiple intitial stamps in it (can't make them out) but al 3 are enclosed in a box shape. Thanks in advance.
DavidFagan

Remington Rolling Block Conversion of Civil War Muskets

Post by DavidFagan »

The subject tells you what it is, unfortunately I'm running out the door and I'm not familiar with
this enough to tell you more without getting out a book. If no-one else answers I'll be back
next week, I may need to ask more questions. I know some of these can be quite valuable.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer

Remington rolling block

Post by Guest »

It sounds like you have a New York State Rolling Block Rifle, the patent dates that you listed are the ones usually encountered on this rifle. One of the best ways to determine if it is a New York State Model is to pull back the hammer to full cock, then open the breech block all the way open and close it. When you close the breech block the hammer should drop to half-cock or safety position. You would then have to recock the hammer to fire the gun. If the gun has this feature then it is a New York Model which was chamber for the 50-70 round.