Oddball Remington Auto Shotgun

Sign the guestbook
Researcher

Re: Oddball Remington Auto Shotgun

Post by Researcher »

The best scenario I can come up with is this old receiver was laying around Ilion and got made up into a military Model 11R "Riot" Grade with a post 1929 trigger group for WW-II. Then was sold as war surplus after WW-II (as thousands were), and in October 1952 the owner ordered an improved cylinder barrel for it. From the introduction in 1905 the only chokes offered were full, modified and cylinder. In the mid-1930s improved cylinder, improved modified and SKEET were added. The SAAMI meeting where it was suggested that manufacturers mark the chamber length on their guns was in 1937. I have Remington guns up to 1938 that don't have the chamber markings. The next gun I have is 1941 vintage and it has the chamber length markings.
Last edited by Researcher on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
w18764560

Post by w18764560 »

Thx Researcher!
So youre thinking an owner at some point had the barrel replaced at the factory, correct? Understanding there is no way to find out... I suppose I could find a period Riot barrel (not an easy task) and restock it with the same style wood she wears now, and that would put her back to her original configuration.
Since I have only time invested in her it
would be financially feasible.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Whether that improved cylinder barrel was added at the factory or his local gunsmith ordered and fitted it I can't tell. In the Remington parts list the barrel, barrel extension and breech bolt all have an * next to them which means "must be fitted at factory or by a recommended gunsmith."