550-1 trouble with date codes

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
SMA

550-1 trouble with date codes

Post by SMA »

Hello, I am new here and have joined for help. I am including pictures of a Remington 550-1 with a 24" barrel, casing deflector, original stock, and a dovetailed/drilled rear sight. I have contacted David at Remington, and been on 3 other forums, but I have been unable to get definitive answers. I have definitely enjoyed and learned quite a lot from the conversations I have had and I am very happy for all the input I have received, but I would like to know for sure what some of these markings mean. So if you can help, please let me know. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_4904.JPG
IMG_4904.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2151 times
IMG_4881.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2151 times
Wulfman

Re: 550-1 trouble with date codes

Post by Wulfman »

See if you can find anything helpful from this forum search link.

search.php?keywords=550-1

Link to barrel date codes:

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

Den

SMA

Post by SMA »

Thank you, I looked all through here before my post was approved, my problem isn't with understanding the Remington date code, it is with deciphering what is stamped on the rifle. I am not familiar enough with Remington's marks to take a guess at what the sort of obscure marks are. I believe the first is a "W" and the second is an "A". Which would put it at August of 58. I think the last digit may be a "4", Which may mean it was sent to the factory for repair but returned unaltered. I was just hoping maybe some one has seen enough of Remington marks to say what the third might be and to offer their opinion of the rest. As I said before, I am only guessing. I included the pictures of the right side hoping that a educated person might be able to use that information also. Anyway, any insight is appreciated, I am only guessing. Thanks.
SMA

Post by SMA »

Also, is it typical to have both the tapped and dovetailed rear sight attachment? I haven't seen any literature that list the dovetailed rear sight. I will keep looking but if anyone has an answer, please let me know. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_4907.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2146 times
IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4906.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2146 times
IMG_4905.JPG
IMG_4905.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2146 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd take it out of the stock, I suspect you will find the manufactured date code vs the date of repair.