Remington Harpoon Rifle

Sign the guestbook
Hunter

Remington Harpoon Rifle

Post by Hunter »

I own a Remington Harpoon Rifle that I have used for years shark fishing. I an trying to find out any information on it. It is a rolling block action that uses .38 blanks. The harpoon slides over the barrel and there is an attachment on the front of the stock to coil the line.
Pictures available :?
Roy M. Marcot

Remington Harpoon Guns

Post by Roy M. Marcot »

Dear Hunter,

In my study of Remington rolling block firearms I have come upon four different variations of harpoon guns. In fact, last week at the Beinfeld Antique Arms Show in Las Vegas I met a French seller who had a French-made harpoon gun that utilized a Remington rolling block action. It had a canvas carrying case and two harpoons. It was in near mint condition.

To my knowledge, neither E. Remington & Sons nor Remington Arms Company manufactured harpoon guns. All I have examined were fabricated by others.

This does not diminish the unique appeal of a firearm to harpoon large fish, seals, and other marine life.

Respectfully,

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
Hunter

Harpoon Gun

Post by Hunter »

Dear Roy,
Thank you very much for your reply. I have been trying to find out for years some information about my gun. I even corresponded with Mr. Greener from England whose company manufactures the Greener harpoon guns. After viewing the pictures that I sent him he was only able to tell me that it was not one of his or his father's guns.

The following markings are found on the top metal backstrap, behind the hammer, that is inlayed into the stock.

Remington Arms Company Ilion NY
May xxxx May7th June 11th Nov 12th Dec 24th 1872
Dec 3rd 1872 Sept 9th 1873 Jan 12th March 18th 1874

Some of the above markings are hard to see with the naked eye. If you have any suggestions on how I can find out about my gun I would certainly appreciate them.

Thanks
Hunter :)