Looking for Some Information and Found this Forum.

Sign the guestbook
MrMarty51

Looking for Some Information and Found this Forum.

Post by MrMarty51 »

New member from Eastern Montana.
I have had a black and chrome Apache, Nylon 66 for some time now, but, I have recently acquired a couple more Remingtons.
First is a Model 12, and, a mighty dirty one at that.
I pushed a brass brush through the bore and when it popped out the other end, it appeared to be a lot of dirt, cobwebs and I do`nt know what all was a flying in the atmosphere. :lol:
The action was all gummed up, from lack of use and lube, and so, I did the customary disassemble, scrub in Stoddard solvent, lube and reassemble.
I scrubbed the bore with some Montana extreme lead remover, let it set over night and then got after it with the scrubbing bore brush, then patched it until dry, then, went after it with some Hoppes Benchtop copper remover stuff, and there was none, after scrubbing the bore thoroughly, rinsing with Stoddard solvent and drying and oiling the bore, it come out bright and shiny.
I was afraid there`d be some rust issues with this one.
The next is a Model 512, bolt action, I have just now got the stock dismounted from the receiver/barrel and have not really started on it.
I was searching for information about how to do a total teardown, but after reading the maintenance from Remington, I decided to leave that sleeping dog lie.
I will thoroughly, scrub the assembled action and components with the solvent, squirt in some lube and blow it around with some air, then wiper down and reassemble. The bore on this one is bright and shiny too.
The guy I bought these two Remingtons from has two more .22 rifles in His basement that needs rescuing and I think I am just the man that can geterdone. :lol:
Thank You for allowing Me in here.
When it comes to self defense, the very best is barely adequate.
MrMarty51

Re: Looking for Some Information and Found this Forum.

Post by MrMarty51 »

The two Remingtons.
The 512 turns out to be a very good shooter, fired and loaded cartridges like it was made to do. Cosmetically it is a little rough. The exterior of barrels finish is scarred and some worn spots, like it had bounced and slid around under the seat of a vehicle, its grouping was spot on though, too bad Mine eyes were`nt. :lol:
The Model 12 was a bit more problematic, it would try and load in a cartridge while the empty casing was still in the breach bolt, not every shot, but rather about every third round.
It has a home made peep rear sight and the front sight appears to be altered, with a hood over the top. I am guessing, but I think that the front sight must have to be slightly higher too, to compensate for the taller rear sight. The grouping was right in with the 512s, about two inches high and about 1/2 to 1 inch to the right, the wind was a howling from that direction so I will need to go back out when the wind is not blowing and see how these two rifles perform then.
The fore-stock on the Model 12 is pristine and so I just added a coating of Linseed oil to it.
The butt-stock looked like it had seen better days, not all beatup or anything, just faded and looked like an oily cheek had rested against it and then dirt had collected onto the oil, or maybe it was an oily dirty cheek, :lol: Anyway, I buffed the rear stock down with some 0000 steel wool, then, added a bit of walnutty stain, wiped it down and let it dry, then added several coats of Linseed Oil and that sure shined that fine old Fire-Arm right up.
On the model 12, I was watching, as I slid the fore-arm towards the rear, I repeated this several times and decided that the firing pins ejection spring must be out of form, I did re-shape the spring and took the rifle and a pocket full of rounds over to an old shed {I live within the city limits} and fired eleven rounds into the floor without a hitch, I reloaded and fired eleven more rounds and had one casing not eject on time, about four more rounds and the tube was empty, loaded four more rounds and they too ejected without a hitch.
I am thinking I will get into weisners and order a new spring and firing pin and see how it performs then.
Unless someone in the forum happens to have a unused set, firing pin and ejector spring, laying around that they are not in need of. I would gladly pay You for them, whatever Weisners {spelling may be off} would be selling them for.
rem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When it comes to self defense, the very best is barely adequate.