Remington New Model Police Revolver

Sign the guestbook
Cowboy Rod

Remington New Model Police Revolver

Post by Cowboy Rod »

REMINGTON NEW MODEL POLICE CONVERSION REVOLVER
I own one of these and it's a pretty clean nickle (original) specimen. Problem is: the cylinder BACK PLATE is missing and persons unknown (kids?) dry-fired the gun like there was no tomorrow! Where the back plate (should) be, the load end of the cylinder is damaged badly and the rimfire pin extension on the hammer is also mashed flat!
I bought the gun years ago in the hopes of finding a new cylinder for it, conversion or even percussion, but never did turn one up. Any suggestions on where I (might) get lucky and find a replacement cylinder for this gun?
I also have a very nice 1888 Remington, serial 186, nickel and engraved with original walnut grips. I know they are rare, but can anyone offer more information on this model which was the prototype for the Model 1890?
Thanks and Happy Trails,
Cowboy Rod
Cowboy Rod
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

I have read your post and understand your delima. I have collected old Remington parts for years and do antique restoration. I have the following parts you may be interested in for restoration of your Police Model.
Original Remington Police conversion cylinder in excellent condition ,in 50% nickel, with matching cylinder & plate no.524. $125.00 + $4.00 S&H
Old after market percussion cylinder with nipples, 100% nickel, no safety notches, works perfectly. This is not an Italian repro. $95.00 + $4.00 S&H
Original Hammer for percussion or cartridge, excellent condition. $75.00 +3.00 S&H
All sold with 3 day return privilege. If you will give me your address I will send you the 1888 story. Email me at huber4447@ bellsouth.net
regards Jay Huber RSA
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Cowboy Rod I gave you the wrong Email address. It is huber7774@ bellsouth.net. Sorry Jay
Cowboy Rod

Post by Cowboy Rod »

Hey, Jay ~
That's great! I really thank you for your fast response and your help on this. Am currently away from home for a few weeks, but definitely want to order a cylinder from you. My first instinct was to go for a conversion cylinder (and backplate) because the gun was converted.

Or would you think the percussion cylinder would be the better choice? Was going to send a PIC but couldn't find a way to attach. The gun has about 95% nickel overall, but the triggerguard is showing all brass (was it originally silvered?), grips are precision fit rosewood and pristine. Except for the cylinder, it's an exceptional specimen.

Since you say the percussion cylinder is original and 100% nickel, it might look more like the rest of the gun. What would you recommend as the best way to go?

Am also very much interested in the story on the Model 1888. My email is:
rcaste43@earthlink.net and my mail address while away from home (I live in Oregon, but am visiting my parents in Wisconsin. They are both 81 and I come back every summer to see what I can do for them so they have less to worry about, like home maintenance, etc. I put a new roof on the house 3 years ago and saved them a lot of money. It's great to be able to do for them).

To send mail to me here (I just arrived today), send to:
ROD CASTEEL
c/o FRAUEN N. Crossway Rd.
Fox Point, WI 53217

Again, Jay, thanks very much and ~
Best Regards,
Rod
Cowboy Rod
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

I would go for the conversion cylinder since the gun was modified for this cylinder or maybe originally made as a cartridge gun ( if it doesn't have conversion numbers). The percussion cylinder is really a repro and not original. Take the trigger guard off and see what the bottom looks like? This should tell you if it were ever nickeled or silvered.
I will send you the 1888 stuff tomorrow. Regards Jay
Cowboy Rod

Post by Cowboy Rod »

Jay ~
Got it and I really appreciate your input. I won't be able to examine the gun until I return home a few weeks out from now, but will do as you suggest as soon as I can lay hands on the gun once again.

How will I be able to recognize conversion numbers as opposed to a standard serial number?

I definitely want the CONVERSION CYLINDER UNIT and thanks for clarifying that. How would you like to be paid? M.O. or cashier's check by mail? Or ?? Better get your mail address to me, okay? And thanks again, Jay. I have owned this little gun for 21 years in the hope of finally finding a cylinder! I'm really glad to make your acquaintance!

Best Regards,
Rod Casteel
Cowboy Rod
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

The conversion numbers are usually 2 or 3 digit and found on the frame under the left grip separate from the serial number and on the bottom of the barrel in front of the loading lever catch. Personal check is OK or money order will be fine. Regards Jay Huber, 1430 NE 57th Court, Ft Lauderdale, FL., 33334-6118.

PS I sent 1888 info today with my business card.
Cowboy Rod

Post by Cowboy Rod »

Jay ~
Got your message and will send out payment not later than Friday (day after tomorrow). I sure appreciate all your help and thank you kindly. I'm really glad I found this site and got registered.

I remember seeing an old Technicolor Western movie at the theatre with my Dad when I was about 7. By then, I had held a real Colt's Six Shooter in my hands. In the movie, I saw a man on screen and some distance away and he was standing in profile and pointing a revolver with a long barrel and I noticed the "web" shape under the barrel. I didn't even know what I was looking at, but I remembered THAT gun and how I could tell it was distictive even at a considerable distance.

Many years later, I learned that (it) was a '75 Remington. I have been a big fan of Remington revolvers ever since and believe they were among the finest handguns ever built. I believe the percussion models were superior to Colts and much faster and more user friendly, especially when changing cylinders. The wedge through barrel and cylinder pin in the Colts has always seemed like a trouble spot to me and very much less efficient than the Remingtons.

I look forward to receiving your data on the Remington '88. Thanks very much once again and ~

Happy Trails,
Rod Casteel
Cowboy Rod
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Rod I got your check and sent the cylinder out today incurred by Priority Mail. You should have in a few days. Did you ever get the 1888 material? Jay
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Where did you go? I am awaiting answers to my questions? Jay huber7774@bellsouth.net.
dvldawg68

Re: Remington New Model Police Revolver

Post by dvldawg68 »

Hubber , do you have any percussion cylinders for a new model police ?

Thanks ,

John Simpson
billt

Post by billt »

Hello John,
Unfortunately Jay Huber passed away in 2010.

Bill
dvldawg68

Post by dvldawg68 »

I am sorry for Mr. Hubber's passing !! ,

Does anyone have percussion cylinders for the New Model Police , or know of someone that makes cylinders ?

Thanks!
billt

Post by billt »

I do not know of anyone who has any for sale. You will probably have better luck if you post your needs in the "Wanted to Buy pre 1899" forum.

Bill