Hand gun patented Sept 14, 1858. Info?

Sign the guestbook
Duffy

Hand gun patented Sept 14, 1858. Info?

Post by Duffy »

Gun was my late husband's. I think it is a cap and ball. It has a leaver under the barrel. The gun is about 14" from tip of barrel to the grip. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My husband told my it was copper plated.
[/b]
DavidFagan

Re: Hand gun patented Sept 14, 1858. Info?

Post by DavidFagan »

Duffy wrote:Gun was my late husband's. I think it is a cap and ball. It has a leaver under the barrel. The gun is about 14" from tip of barrel to the grip. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My husband told my it was copper plated.
[/b]
That's not a lot to go on, lets first start with exactly what the patent date said.
Was it
BEALS PATENT SEPT. 14, 1858/MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTON'S ILLION N.Y.
or
PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858/ E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, NEW YORK, U.S.A./NEW MODEL

and the length of the barrel.

Copper plated, do parts of it look like copper or brass?
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Duffy

Sept 14, 1858 hand gun

Post by Duffy »

the barrel is 6 1/2" and Patented Sept 14, 1858 - E. Remington & Sons- Ilion, NY- New Model
DavidFagan

Re: Sept 14, 1858 hand gun

Post by DavidFagan »

Duffy wrote:the barrel is 6 1/2" and Patented Sept 14, 1858 - E. Remington & Sons- Ilion, NY- New Model
It's a Remington New Model Belt Revolver, the only question is if it is a S/A New Model or a D/A New Model (Single Action or Double Action). I'm assuming your somewhat unfamiliar with firearms, a single action means you have to cock the hammer and then pull the trigger for it to drop whle a double action works both for you. You can easily identify which this is however without having to touch it. With the single action the trigger is quite close to the back of the trigger guard while the double action puts it right in the center.
Both of these were made approximately 1863-1873 and are 36 caliber, given the model and the serial no you can come real close to dating it more specifically.
If your identifing it for value the single and double actions are significantly different and the early fluted cylinder (outside not smooth around) is scarce and will bring a premium.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Duffy

Remington Sept 14, 1858

Post by Duffy »

Dave, I know very little re guns. This gun is a cap and ball, I think. It has a plunger (for want of a better word) under the barrel, that would push something into the cylinder. Does that sound right? The trigger is guite close to the back of the guard. The barrel has 8 sides. The cylinder is smooth. My husband would tell the story the the gun was copper plated because it was used by the Navy and would resist sea water. But you know how family stories go. Where would I find the serial #? Thanks for your help.
DavidFagan

Re: Remington Sept 14, 1858

Post by DavidFagan »

Duffy wrote:Dave, I know very little re guns. This gun is a cap and ball, I think. It has a plunger (for want of a better word) under the barrel, that would push something into the cylinder. Does that sound right? The trigger is guite close to the back of the guard. The barrel has 8 sides. The cylinder is smooth. My husband would tell the story the the gun was copper plated because it was used by the Navy and would resist sea water. But you know how family stories go. Where would I find the serial #? Thanks for your help.
So it's a single action from the sounds of it, total production estimated between 2,500 - 3000. 6 shot, 26 caliber, 6 1/5 inch Octgon barrel, with walnut grips. Most were blue finish and the remander partial or full nickel. This copper plating is beyond anything I know about, maybe RemShots or Jay will have a comment. The Serial # will be located under the rammer (the plunger) on the barrel, however if this is copper plated it might be difficult to read. You have to slide the front catch back to release and move it away from the barrel and you *might* be able to see the serial number without bringing it all the way vertical to the barrel if not you have to manipulate cylinder to line up the rammer by bringing the hammer to half cock. In which case after you return the rammer you have to bring it to full cock, hold the hammer with your thumb, and squeeze the trigger and slowly lower the hammer. Now that I've said all this are you ABSOLUTELY sure there is not loaded? No caps, no balls, nothing. Dropping the hammer once really isn't going to kill anything on the gun but if there's any question about this being loaded don't do any of this. There's a heck of a lot of nice Remington Society members all over this country certainly we can find one nearby to help you.
If you want to click the email button and send me mail directly with a phone number I would be happy to call you at a convient time and walk you through this.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Duffy

Remington Sept 14, 1858

Post by Duffy »

The serial # is 112043. I tried to e-mail you, it didn't work.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Duffy wrote:The serial # is 112043. I tried to e-mail you, it didn't work.
I guess it depends if you browser is setup for sending mail.
fagan@wideopenwest.com
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Duffy wrote:The serial # is 112043. I tried to e-mail you, it didn't work.
With that serial no questions did arise....

A remeasurement of the barrel is 8" and it appears to be a 44 caliber, so this is a New Model Army. It is military with Cartouche (initialls within not yet identified) and sub-inspector marks in all the normal places. The gun is silver over copper, with some spots of copper where the silver has worn away. With silver over copper I suspect this is a presentation piece but I have no further information. Perhaps Jay can add to this or correct my errors :oops:
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer