Model 32

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Kman-5455

Model 32

Post by Kman-5455 »

Looking for a definitive guide (books) on Remington Model 32s which detail processes used in manufacture. I'm looking for descriptions on stock finishing (lacquer, hand rubbed oil, shelac, etc.), barrel finishes (rust blued or hot tanked), barrel construction, receiver and forend iron finishes (charcoal blued or hot tanked), pictures of standard engraving patterns, engravers (names) used on higher end models, breakdown on the numbers manufactured in each of the grades, options offered, etc.

I decided recently to start collecting 32s and need more knowledge as to what dictates originality. I am in search of the holy grail; unmolested high end guns and therefore, I am trying to come up on the learning curve fast. Any help on where I can purchase reference material and/or persons I might contact would be greatly appreciated.
lowgun

Re: Model 32

Post by lowgun »

No one comes up the learning curve fast on the Model 32 because there is just nothing of value in print concerning this gun. Start by buying original catalogs, good reprints, and guns. Original engraved 32s are outnumbered by aftermarket engraved 32s by about 50 to 1. Join the RSA and research old RSA Journal articles on engravers and Model 32s. Catalog pictures of engraved 32s are rarer than the guns.
lee r moege

Post by lee r moege »

Good advice Lowgun! I recently filled out my "bucket list of guns I always wanted", with a Model 32 skeet in 95% plus condition. I am 72 years old and have quite an accumulation of catalogs and articles of all kinds and you are right, there just isn't much on the "32". In fact, I have a particular mark on the barrels of mine that I have been trying to identify for 2 months now and just now am awaiting information from Del Grego's who I think have solved the mystery. We shall see! These guns were a favorite canvas of Arnold Greibel and E.C. Prudhomme in the day and I have seen several signed by them over the years. Do you happen to know if Runge signed any factory work on their graded guns? Have a great day! Lee.
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

OK, here goes. I understand that postwar, engravers were allowed to sign their work. Since we are talking 32s here, I doubt you will find an original engraved 32 that is signed. However, a Runge 32 that is engraved aftermarket is probably worth as much as one that is an original F Grade. I have seen one Runge signed 32F for sale at a show and I am miserable about passing it up. It was represented as original, and I knew it was not. Now I wouldn't care. I have a classic pattern Arnold Griebel 32 with gold dogs, birds, and initials. It is signed by Arnold in his normal way. Arnold is probably the most prolific engraver of 32s along with Kurt Jaeger through Paul Jaeger's Jenkintown shop. A friend gave me the Griebel 32 to sell asking that I get him a certain amount of money. I told him that it was not enough to ask and that I would buy it for that amount. He would not change his asking price and told me that he would be glad to have me buy it. I certainly never thought I would own a wonderful gun like this. If you want to see some engraved 32s, find the Bourne Auction catalog of October 26, 1982 selling the Greg Wareheim collection. Greg's grandfather, a local shooter and collector, had a close relationship with Bob Runge, Larry Del Grego Sr. and the Paul Jaeger firm among others and had many Remingtons, Winchesters, and other guns engraved during the fifties through seventies. Many of the guns are pictured in that auction catalog.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Probably the best there is on Model 32s are their chapters in Michael McIntosh's two books The Best Shotguns Ever Made in America and Best Guns. There was an article on the Model 32 by Wallace Labisky in Shooting Times magazine in the early 1960s. I know I have the issue, but since moving everything out of my computer room this spring, installing hardwood flooring and building new closet shelving, I can't seem to lay my hands on it. There is a good article on the post WW-II Remington engravers in the RSA Journal 4th Quarter 2008. There is one Remington archive picture of an engraved Model 32 in that article. The Remington in house engravers during the time the Model 32 was offered would have been Owen DeLange, Joe Loy and Anda Hardy. In the later years of the Model 32 both Runges were at Ilion after they arrived with Parker.
Skyking

Post by Skyking »

Larry D. is going to be your best source for all things Model 32. If he's doesn't know it; you probably won't find it elsewhere. He's getting on in years(like most of us); so don't tarry in your inquires. I think your desire to collect 32's is a very wise move. It is an untapped arena; and one that I have never been able to understand why no one has realized before. Only around 5,000 were made, and I'm sure that there are only a few of the really nice untouched ones that remain. I own a very nice DelGrego rebuilt solid rib skeet grade that I continually marvel at. I guess it was just ahead of it's time. If it we're to be introduced today; the sales would be off the chart. I suppose it will have to be satisfied that it's progeny are such a major hit with clay target shooters.
Good luck with building your collection, and let us know of your progress.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Some dork shooting a 32 a few months ago...
Attachments
dork.jpg
dork.jpg (188.89 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

I would like to think that we are looking at a Krieghoff, not a Remington, but the forearm configuration is more Remington than Krieghoff. It is probably a borrowed gun. Was that picture taken at Camp David or somewhere else?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's me and my 32.
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

Not our non-hero, Bill Clinton?
Steel man

Post by Steel man »

I was searching and browsing the web after the Holidays and this site came up when I entered Remington Model 32. I am in possession of a original Model 32 serial #1517 double trigger. It was my grandfathers gun purchased sometime in the early 1930's. I m told he held the national skeet championship title in 1936 (i also have the trophy's that prove this) The gun is in its original condition and a bit worn. I m trying to decide if I should restore it or leave it in its original condition. Does anyone have any input on which condition would preserve the bet value?
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

Who was your grandfather the skeet champion. I research early skeet shooters and would like to know who was shooting the 32. Larry Del Grego and Son in Ilion, New York are the only firm that specializes in Model 32 repair.