REMINGTON 1875 Bought Newzealand (has British proofs on Cy)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
dingus

REMINGTON 1875 Bought Newzealand (has British proofs on Cy)

Post by dingus »

OK heres a weird one for you Remington 1875 experts. I bought a remy 1875 that was listed for sale in New Zealand..
when i got the gun i never noticed till tonight that theres tiny British Proofs on each chamber of the cylinder. A Crown with a V under it every second chamber the other one on the other 3 chambers is diffrent hard to make out exactly what it is but i seen these on british firearms.
The british proofs got me thinking was this some rare 1875 that was shiped to england Proofed by a british company (SAA Colts had to have this done that went to england with the tiny british proof marks) and then made its way down to newzealand.

The gun was listed as a 44 Remington 1875.
The 5.5 inch Barrel also has British proofmarks on it i just checked has the remington barrel top address like it should.
This is a strange 1875 Remy for certin.
the Dia of the cylinder is the same as the 45 colt 1875s to
I think maby a tad rare or at least weird eh??
Any help from the remy experts would be great i can get some pictures if anyone wants to see the proofmarks. :D
DavidFagan

Re: REMINGTON 1875 Bought Newzealand (has British proofs on Cy)

Post by DavidFagan »

1875's in 45 are scarce, maybe a tad rare, but certainly not unheard of.
The proofs sound right to me, they just didn't know what they had.
I would love to see the pictures.
I saw a ZigZag with so many proofs the gun was nearly destroyed.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
dingus

Post by dingus »

DavidFagan wrote:1875's in 45 are scarce, maybe a tad rare, but certainly not unheard of.
The proofs sound right to me, they just didn't know what they had.
I would love to see the pictures.
I saw a ZigZag with so many proofs the gun was nearly destroyed.

Thanks for the Reply.
The Barrels Bore is like .428 dia so 44 cal
The Cylinders had its chambes reamed to something bigger than 45 Colt Dia when i got it they used a 45 70 reamer.
Going by the Bores Dia and the British proofs on both the barrel and cylinder im thinking the Cylinder was for a 44 40 or 44 Remington most likely 44 40.

I will get some pics of the proofmarks later.
The cylinder will be restored back to 44 Caliber with chjamber lineings. Someone ran a 45 70reamer down each chamber for some weird reason.
Im gona put this gun back together as its a rare Remington 1875 to have been british proofed i can not find another one anywhere.
The gun will be set back up to shoot 44 Remington.

I have 5 orignal Remington 1875s and none have the exact same cylinder measurements there all abit diffrent from each other.

Pics later ... I dont have any loaded.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

This will sound like a strange question but will a nickel (oops maybe you don't have one) fit between the back of the cylinder?
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
dingus

Post by dingus »

DavidFagan wrote:This will sound like a strange question but will a nickel (oops maybe you don't have one) fit between the back of the cylinder?

If you meen betweeen the back of the cylinder and the frame with that cylinder in the gun the answer is Yes.
A Canadian Nickle (same as a uSA one in thickness ) just fits perfect.
The Orignal cylinder has abit of end shake but its not to bad.
So it was 44 40 then right ?
Thats what the nickle question is for?

The gun was all in Pieces as i was gona rebuild it with a new longer barrel and diffrent cylinder. BUT now i see the British proofs on that orignal barrel and cylinder im gona put it all back together.
It cant be 44 40 and keep its antique status in Canada so i have to set it backup as 44 Remington / or 44 Russian Maby.
I shoot all my 1875s no mater how rare they are eh :wink:

I will post some pics tonight of the gun proofs ect.
just takes me awhile.
dingus

Re: REMINGTON 1875 (has British proofs on Cy) PICS ADDED

Post by dingus »

Ok Keep in mind this gun was rough when i got it and is not finished. I wasnt even gona reuse the cylinder that came in the gun.
My Camra sucks at takeing pics or i guess i do.
The grips are newer of course i have the old wood set.
I figger someone in New Zealand brought or Bought the gun in Engaland took it to new Zealand as the Maori wars were going on back in the day.
The gun must have some cool history. guns just gona be polished steel as it was nickled orignally.
Someone Bored out the chambers bigger useing a 45 70 reamerr then shot something BIG dowen the bore as theres 3 Buldges in the bore it was so bad the barrel was split open in several places. So the bore needs to be relined.
The Barrel is orignal short 5.5 you can see its not been cut down and has a Post sight hole thats threaded.
That barrel web is not the orignal.
The frame is the best 1875 ive had so is the action and hammer very smooth.
Hammers orignal Trigger is new so is the bolt and spring.
The main spring is orignal.
You need to look close to see the proofs i had the cylinder and barrel 2 years before i even noticed the proofmarks the other night.
Its no where near finished i hate posting unfinished projects but in this case i figgered i would. Some New zealander had already started to polish the gun so i figger might as well just redo the entire gun maby get it pro renickled. Maby. :)

DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

I was always told if you could put a nickel between the back of the cylinder and the frame it's a 45 cylinder.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
dingus

Re: REMINGTON 1875 Bought Newzealand (has British proofs on

Post by dingus »

Is there any Remington Collectors on this site with some Books or info on British proofed Remington 1875s :?:

Or Comments even.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

A large number of 1875's were ordered by Egypt to be delivered through the London Office.
Eygypt defaulted on payment and many were sold in England.
They would have required to be proofed before sale and the proof markes that are described are the British View Proof and Definitive proof marks they alternate between cylinders. There should also be two marks on the barrel.
dingus

Post by dingus »

stanforth wrote:A large number of 1875's were ordered by Egypt to be delivered through the London Office.
They would have required to be proofed before sale and the proof markes that are described are the British View Proof and Definitive proof marks they alternate between cylinders. There should also be two marks on the barrel.

Thanks for the helpfull post. Mine does have the two marks on the barrel as well as on the cylinder.
Very intresting guns and fun to shoot to :D
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

dingus wrote:
stanforth wrote:A large number of 1875's were ordered by Egypt to be delivered through the London Office.

Thanks for the helpfull post. Mine does have the two marks on the barrel as well as on the cylinder.
Very intresting guns and fun to shoot to :D

You are lucky. Here in the UK we are not allowed to shoot any pistols other than muzzle loaders.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Need to tell the taxi cab driver that.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

DavidFagan wrote:Need to tell the taxi cab driver that.
A bit too soon for that type of humour especially as UK gun owners have been through it twice before and lost ownership rights each time.
dingus

Post by dingus »

stanforth wrote:
A bit too soon for that type of humour especially as UK gun owners have been through it twice before and lost ownership rights each time.

I hear you our past Canadian Liberal goverments have reacted the same way by a 2 billion dollar boondogle Firearm Registry= Punish all the law abideing Subjects and treat the crimnals with kid gloves.

How long has England had its Ban on handguns yet the murder rates are climbing.
Lets face it bad guys dont register there firearms.

thats very sad that that guy went nuts in england with his registered guns i can only see your polititions screaming for compleat gun bans now.

we are moveing the other direction with our conservative goverment trying to get rid of the useless liberal gun registry.
we dont have it as good as the USA but at least we can buy chinese M14s :wink: they aint no springfield but we build them up pertty good.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

stanforth wrote:

Opps, sorry. I guess more work needs to be done on muzzle leaders as well as muzzle loaders. ;)
We don't seem to be doing to well over here eitherl. We need an to require an IQ test before we allow people to vote.
I'd also support a minimum age of 30 (so they have a real world clue) and those who don't pay taxes also shouldn't be allowed to vote.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer