1858 New Model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
pestok

1858 New Model

Post by pestok »

Years ago I purchased a 1858 New Model, and I thought that maybe ,I could get some info on it. The serial number is 64326. It has a silver finish,I was told it was tin plated. Could someone tell me when it was made, did it come from the factory with this finish or was it done by one of the previous owners?The trigger guard is also silver finish,not the usual brass.
Thank you for any info you can give me.
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: 1858 New Model

Post by Jay Huber »

Your gun was made in Earlie 1864. I believe yours is actually silver plated. I have never seen a truly tin plated Remington Army Madel. I had a nice silver plated one in my collection. I had a tin plated Navy once but was able to prone it had been done after The War. Silver plating process was available during the wad and nickel plating was not available TILL 1870 after the War
pestok

Post by pestok »

Thank you very much, .
That answered my question about my revolver.
raascht

Post by raascht »

Interested in your silver plated 1858... I have one that sounds like it may be similar to yours. I assumed mine was nickle plate, but just read this thread... Do you have any further info on yours and maybe an image or 2 you would be willing to share? Mine is in the 117XXX range which would place it pretty close to yours... mine probably late 1864. On mine I can see some brass under a portion of the silver on the trigger guard.

Any insight would be appreciated... thanks!
carbineone

Post by carbineone »

I would venture to say both your 1858s are nickel plated later on by a individual. Remington as far as I know, never plated any 1858s at all..Silver or Nickel.

The plating will hurt the collector value some..