Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington Range Report

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
rudybolla

Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington Range Report

Post by rudybolla »

Just got a new (to me) Model 8 manufactured in 1936. Bought some reloads at a gunshow and took rifle to range today. The rifle has a Williams peep sight and Marble No. 6 front. At 50 yards I was not impresed with my shooting. I felt I was holding the same sight picture, but hard to be sure. Majority of shots grouped in about a 4"x5" cluster a bit high and to the right. :oops: I shoot single shot BPCR woth vernier tang sights and hooded globe front sights with vey good effect. I am wondering if a Beech combination front sight would work well on this rifle and help me maintain a better sight picture. If the rifle had its barrel sights I know I could have done better, but I like the way the peep acquires the target quickly for me. Oh yeah, pics of rifle below! :D
Attachments
williams.jpg
williams.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
receiver cu.jpg
receiver cu.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
side.jpg
side.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
st33lcas3

Re: Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington Range Report

Post by st33lcas3 »

Good looking Model 8 you have!

You should be getting better groups than that. Have you tried the 200 grain CoreLokt bullets? How's the bore look? Is the rifling in good shape and did you clean it well after you bought it. Mine was shooting crazy until I cleaned out the copper fouling using Sweet's 7.62 solvent.
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

st33lcas3 wrote:Good looking Model 8 you have!

You should be getting better groups than that. Have you tried the 200 grain CoreLokt bullets? How's the bore look? Is the rifling in good shape and did you clean it well after you bought it. Mine was shooting crazy until I cleaned out the copper fouling using Sweet's 7.62 solvent.
The reloads were 200 gr bullets. Not sure if CoreLokt. Bore looks great, but might give it a good scrubbing with copper solvent and try factory loads.
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

I use JB bore compound. Almost any of these older guns especially pre-WWII will have copper build up in the bore. It may even look shiny if cleaned with a brass brush and regular gun cleaners but the copper build up will probably be there. :)
Mountaineers are always Free
st33lcas3

Post by st33lcas3 »

rudybolla wrote:
The reloads were 200 gr bullets. Not sure if CoreLokt. Bore looks great, but might give it a good scrubbing with copper solvent and try factory loads.
Factory Remington CoreLokt rounds work best for me. They feed perfectly and have good accuracy. I've tried Federals Power Shock brand, but they seem to be seated a little deeper in the case and would misfeed regularly.

I look at it this way, the .35 Remington cartridge was created for the Model 8. My grandpa fed it CoreLokts, that's what I'm going to feed it. :wink: My only complaint it that only one store here sells the .35 Rem CoreLokts, so getting them is hit and miss.

I always cleaned it with Hoppes after every range session. I even tried some foaming bore cleaner and left it in over night. Even that didn't get the copper out. Pick up some Sweets 7.62 solvent and I guarantee you'll get copper out of it.

Tbury - I never tried the JB paste but I've heard good things about it. Would it be alright for these old barrels? Does it clean up easily?
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

I have a box of factory loads I will try next session. The reloads did have a misfeed with each magazine load.
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

Tbury - I never tried the JB paste but I've heard good things about it. Would it be alright for these old barrels? Does it clean up easily?[/quote]

Brownells sells a package with Kroil and JB bore compound, You clean the bore with Kroil and leave it "wet" for 15 min then repeat the cleaning and dry patch it. Then use a tight patch with JB or a worn-out brush with a Jb soaked patch around it and follow the instructions. I have a Model 14 that Butches Bore shine gave clean patches but I could still see copper on the lands. When I ran JB patches through they were black (dirty). Three cycles of Kroil and JB got all the copper out and the bore looked excellent. It will remove lead and copper with no wear to the steel. I bought mine at the local gun shop. They also have JB bore bright for regular cleaning and follow up for Bore compound, which is supposed to inhibit rust.
Mountaineers are always Free