Small Frame 1894 shotgun?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
tomscheri

Small Frame 1894 shotgun?

Post by tomscheri »

I have an 1894 AE grade shotgun which has factory 26" barrels. I purchased a set of used 1894 barrels a while ago which fit the frame, but are much bigger across the breach face than my gun. Did Remington make the 12 ga in a smaller frame? Is it worth refurbishing the 26" barrels (fairly pitted internally and damascus) via sleeving? I inheritted the gun from my grandfather who got it from his father. The mechanicals on the gun are fine, but the barrels are pitted and the stock has been pinned at the wrist in a rather crude manner. I am new to this so any help or input would be appreciated.
Researcher

Re: Small Frame 1894 shotgun?

Post by Researcher »

From an economic standpoint it would make no sense to do the things you mention to a well abused bottom of the line AE-Grade. It would purely be for your family history sentimental value. If you have sons or daughters interested in hunting and shooting to pass it on to it may make sense for you.
tomscheri

Post by tomscheri »

I know it would not be financially prudent, but this is a sentimental gun. Are there different size frames for the 12 ga? I have a good set of 1894 12 ga barrels, but as I said they are much wider at the breech even though they fit the frame well in the water table slot for the barrel lump. I have many other doubles, but this is my only remington double, so I am not completely familiar with them.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Yes there were some 12-gauge guns built on a slightly narrower frame, maybe the 16-gauge frame? I've seen comparative pictures of a regular and a narrow 12-gauge frame side by side, but I've never owned one.
tomscheri

Post by tomscheri »

It must be something like that since the frame and fences are definately narrower than the barrels I bought used some time ago. I was hoping to find another set that would be the proper size to replace the ones I have which are fairly pitted internally. Does anyone know if 16 ga barrels would fit or what their dimensions are?
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

16 gauge barrels might fit but try to find them. 16 gauge for Remington doubles is extremely scarce. In any case, dimensions vary quite a bit as the barrels for these shotguns were hand fit. Have a good gunsmith examine the pits very carefully. If you don't intend to shoot the gun I'd heed researcher's advise. Just clean up the barrel exterior. Damascus is beautiful.