barrel question

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

barrel question

Post by paul harm »

I own a 1889 12ga built in 1902. I was given a set of 12ga barrels built in 1893 that I fit to my gun. If one looks on page 120 of Mr. Semmers book, my barrels look like the lower ones, the ones given to me look like the upper ones. But once I fit the barrels I noticed that they're smaller accross. Mine measure around 2.340" with a .170 chamber wall thickness. The given barrels 2.315 accross with a .150 wall thickness. I found it strange that barrels for the same year gun would seem to have different measurements accross the barrels almost demanding a different frame, or bolster size, to make it look proper. The given ones are 32" with tighter chokes than my 30" with open chokes. I also noticed on my B, C, and F grade 1894's all the barrels have around a .170 chamber wall thickness. The given barrels cleaned up with some pitting in and outside, but now that they fit and shoot , I'll shoot some SC's Friday and then maybe clean them up the rest of the way. I was just wondering if anyone else has a set of smaller 12ga barrels? Thanks - Paul
tomscheri

Re: barrel question

Post by tomscheri »

I have the similar, but opposite information with my 1894 barrels and did a post for 1894 small frame on this site. Nobody seems to know of this, but it may be a 12 ga ona 16 ga frame.