Model 11 Full Choke Barrel, best way to set up for skeet?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
smokemetallic

Model 11 Full Choke Barrel, best way to set up for skeet?

Post by smokemetallic »

Hi everyone,

I have a 1940's Model 11 with a Full choke barrel. I'd like to shoot skeet with this gun but I can only find barrels in Improved or Modified. Was a Skeet barrel ever produced?
If not, could the barrel be machined to accept screw-in choke tubes. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Joe
Virginian

Re: Model 11 Full Choke Barrel, best way to set up for skeet?

Post by Virginian »

The barrel can be adapted to screw in chokes, or you could just have the choke opened up to Improved Cylinder or skeet. Tubes of course will make it much more versatile.
What could have happened... did.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Remington's autoloading skeet gun in the 1930s and 40s was built as a Sportsman, not a 5-shot Model 11. They were offered with plain, solid, or ventilated rib barrels. The Remington ribs in those times were milled integral with the barrel, and the vent rib is beautiful with the support posts alternating one side to the other side. Getting a set of Brileys insalled would cost more then a Model 11 is worth, and from the horror stories I've heard you don't want the average shmo that calls himself "gunsmith" installing choke tubes. At least if you want the gun to shoot where you are looking.

Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I have seen some of those milled ribs and they were beautiful. I agree Briley is not cheap, but Mike Orlen also comes highly recommended, and he is far more reasonable. In the ballpark with the price of another barrel, or less with what barrels have gone to lately. If you know anything about machining and you ask someone how they do it, you will know pretty quick whether they are an artisan or a hacker.
What could have happened... did.
smokemetallic

Post by smokemetallic »

Thanks for all the quick and knowledgable responses guys. This gun was given to me for free, if I had to invest 300.00 bucks in smithing and tubes it would be worth it to me to make the gun useable on a weekly basis at the skeet field. I like shooting older or budget guns and beating the guys with the big money over and unders.
I was unaware of the Sportsman model. Looks like a nice piece. By chance, the barrels dont interchange with the Model 11 do they? If so finding a Sportsman skeet barrel might be the best route.
Thanks again.
Joe
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Better yet, find a barrel or gun with a polychoke on it. They are not very desirable or pretty, but very functional. You can find one for way less than a choke tube job.

And just think about how them boys will feel getting "oiled" by a corn cob. :lol:

They may not be envogue now but there is a reason you see so many on older guns, they worked.

Will Gurton
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

You existing barrel can be honed out to Skeet or IC. Tubes will make it very useful. I have Vent Rib barrel with a Cutts Compensator (exterior choke tubes) that looks factory installed (no choke stamp on barrel). Barrel w/o the Cutts is about 22". Would be pretty short w/o the cutts on it.
I have really considered tubing a model 11. I might have to look a little harder. I, too, hear good things about Mike Orlen.
Poly chokes and Cutts Compensators were the choke tubes of the day. Also, Remington did choke SOME guns SKEET, but most were IC, M, or F.