2 different 1858 New Army models - one with strange serial

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
bgugler

2 different 1858 New Army models - one with strange serial

Post by bgugler »

Hello,

I'm trying to identify two different 1858 New Army revolvers.

Serial numbers are "19918" and "6" with no signs of tampering. Both feature brass frames.

These have been in the family since the Civil War and we're trying to determine date of manufacture as well as any other information that may be available.

On the 1863 model, the top of the barrel reads “ E. Remington and sons Ilion, New York USA”:

On the “Beals” model the top of the barrel reads “Beals Patent Sept. 14, 1858 NY. The serial number on the bottom is clearly stamped “6”. There is not the faintest evidence that there was ever any other numbers that might have rubbed off. The gun is in such overall excellent condition that I’m sure if there were other numbers, they would have shown up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: 2 different 1858 New Army models - one with strange serial

Post by Jay Huber »

Before I answer you are you sure they both have brass Frames. I am not aware of any Civil War Brass frame revolvers. As far as I know brass frames would be Re-pros. All War frames were steel or iron. Jay Huber RSA
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We allow image uploads, much better that images that eventually disappear :D

Click Browse below and then Add the file.
bgugler

Post by bgugler »

Thank you for your response. The images must have moved. After further review, it does not appear that the frames are brass and they do not appear to be reproductions.
Attachments
1858-Remington-New-Army3_sm.gif
1858-Remington-New-Army3_sm.gif (251.93 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
1858-Remington-New-Army2_sm.gif
1858-Remington-New-Army2_sm.gif (219.53 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
1858-Remington-New-Army1_sm.gif
1858-Remington-New-Army1_sm.gif (238.88 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

The Beals Model has the correct markings and serial # 6 is correct and rare that low' I had # 9 at one time. The gun was made in the first production run in April of 1862. Only 1900 were made and 750 were Military Inspected , which are quite Rare. These guns saw heavy use in the Civil War and there are not very many around.

The other is a pre new model transition piece made about April of 1863 since it doesn't have any New Model stamping. It appears to me it has been re blued which detracts from it's value. I don't know about the Beals. It to may have been re blued.

Does #6 have any Cartouches on the Grips?, like AWA or CGC I am keeping records on these Beals and I will ad yours to the records when I hear from you,
bgugler

Post by bgugler »

Thank you very much for the information. We will look for additional marking and take detailed pictures of the disassembled gun. It may be a little while as the digital camera is on the fritz, but we will certainly provide this information for your records.

You stated that you once owned a #9, I'm assuming you sold it or traded it. I don't think that these guns will ever end up for sale as they have been kept in the family since the late 1800's to the best of my knowledge, but for interest sake and insurance, what is a rough insurance estimate we should consider putting on the #6 weapon?

From looking at them in person, niether gun appears as though it has been re-blued and both have a fair amount of wear, but we will inspect closer.