Mystery Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
griaguns

Mystery Rolling Block

Post by griaguns »

Mystery Rolling Block

Center fire cartridge .Rim Diameter .760,base diameter .660, length 1.75 calliber 50 what the heck is it

OK Here are some pictures.Click on the bottom links for more

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/ ... C00433.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/ ... C00434.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/ ... C00432.jpg

RTS

Re: Mystery Rolling Block

Post by RTS »

Those markings are kind of scary. I hope someone knows what they are and what they mean. I'm curious!!
ehull

Post by ehull »

This from author George Layman: "The markings appear to be the Lion of Judah and looks to be a reworked Belgian (Nagant perhaps) that was "decorated" in Ethiopia/Abyssynia by Jewish craftsmen in that land who are highly regarded for their decorative abilities.Thats my take on it as the shield appears to be written in Amharic language symbols. Would love to get a picture for my book but better hurry."
It doesn't look like a Nagant rifle to me, however, lacking prominent markings. It has the breech characteristics of pre-Aug 1870 manufacture. Does the rifle have Remington tang markings? Ed
griaguns

Post by griaguns »

There are no markings on the gun other than what I have posted pictures of.I have stripped the wood from the action and cannot find anything else.Thank you .Graham
tjack

Post by tjack »

Graham,
Very interesting Rolling Block!! I agree with Ed, it looks like a Remington product. I can't contradict George as to it being Ethiopian as he knows far more about these foreign markings than I do. However, in all of Ethiopia's currency, coinage and paper, the Lion of Judah is depicted as a ferocious beast unlike the top of your receiver. This looks more like a Saturday morning cartoon character from the 1950's. As for your measurements, I believe you have an error somewhere. The most logical choice for a .50 cal in Ethiopia would be the 12mm Papal. It shares measurements with the .50-70: rim .618" (.50-70 .656-.665"); base .560" (.50-70 .564"). Even the .577 Snider & .577/450 have rim .7468", base .659".
The closest I can find to your measurements is the .58 Berdan with rim .748" and base .653".
I would suggest you recheck your measurements. I also checked the possibility that someone had run a shotshell reamer into the chamber but, the closest is the 20 ga shell and it has a rim of .757" and a base of .681".
Tom
griaguns

Post by griaguns »

OK I have rechecked the measurements diameter of the rim is .748+- and right in front of the rim it measures .665 and it is definatly a .50+- caliber.Graham
tjack

Post by tjack »

Graham,
I'm baffled! Your base diameter is larger that that of a .58 Berdan. So, to be .50 cal it either has a bottle neck case or quite a bit of taper to the case. Either way, I have no idea. I have some pretty good reference material and I can find no bottleneck .50 cal military cartridge. It may be some obscure 12mm European ctg but not any "standard" military cartridge that I can find. Another possibility; a lot of years have passed since the rifle was made. It may not be in an original caliber/cartridge.
Tom
ehull

Post by ehull »

Graham- Can you post an overall view, or two views, one of each half of the rifle? Does the barrel have flats at the frame, or is it completely round? Ed
griaguns

Post by griaguns »

Multiple pictures are being provided and there are flats just in front of the reciever at the bottom of the barreland you can see them in the pictures.I also took a picture of the back side of the battle sight as there are some markings that may be helpfull.Thank you.Graham

SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

It's been a while since I lived in Saudi Arabia, but the left side appears to be marked "1", "2", "3", and something that should be a "4" but I can't tell what it is. The top of the leaf is labeled "5", "6", "7", "8" , and "9".

Here's a decoder ring:

Matt
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
strong enough to take everything you have - Thomas Jefferson

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
In this life we get nothing save by effort - Theodore Roosevelt
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

Well, this is the coolest one to show up in awhile. Thanks for sharing! :D
ehull

Post by ehull »

Perhaps we have an ID: a rolling block copy from Nepal! At the Baltimore gun show this weekend I saw a socket bayonet that came out of the Nepal Arsenal (one of the thousands of arms now offered on the market) and it had a very similar lion marking. This was the whole lion, but the head was identical to that on your rifle. The Nepalese script on the bayonet was also similar to that on the frame of the rifle. No, I don't real Nepalese. I suggest you look up the MAN AT ARMS article on these Nepal Arsenal arms from a couple of years ago, or articles in other gun magazines. There is a recent article on the Nepal Gehendra rifle in MAN AT ARMS just a couple of months ago
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

It appears I was mistaken of the Amharic script to include the Lion of Judah as the symbol, as the script on the shield appears to be a Farsi inscription regarding a pledge to the Mufti in that linguistic style. This would now confirm a true suspicion that Persia (Iran) did indeed have a connection to the rolling block but as far as numbers or manufacturer requires deeper research. The butt stock and forearm almost appear to be an Enfield muzzleloder (which pattern I am not sure of) that was "Transformed" so to speak with a rolling block action in the middle. Persia also utilized a symbol of the lion as did Ethiopia. I am working on the rest of this with a contact in Iraq of all places! Is it possible to obtain a disc of photos of your rifle to place in my fortcoming book of the Military Rolling Block? Thank You George
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

To me it also looks like the screw heads for the triggerguard and trigger assembly are larger in diameter than most of the military rollers I have seem. Or maybe it is just an optional delusion. :shock:
griaguns

Post by griaguns »

Would any other information such as screw head diameter or screw spacing etc etc be of help to you guys trying to help me identify this RB.Graham