Remington M-1861 “Old Model” Transitional Revolver.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
John Vroeg

Remington M-1861 “Old Model” Transitional Revolver.

Post by John Vroeg »

hello does anyone know more about this weapon? and the serial number. year of construction?/month? greetings John

Remington M-1861 “Old Model” Transitional Revolver. The pistol retains its original German silver cone front sight.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
aardq

Re: Remington M-1861 “Old Model” Transitional Revolver.

Post by aardq »

Hi John,

Welcome to the RSA forum. The serial number, 13447 was made in February, 1863. Do all three numbers, the barrel, trigger guard tab, and the frame match? It looks like a late transition model, since it has New Model cylinder, loading lever, and the lower hammer spur, while the rear of the frame is an Elliot early frame design, with the high, squared style, and the front of the of the frame has the cutouts showing the barrel threads. If the numbers match it is a real transition model, or the numbers may not match indicating it was assembled from parts, or maybe some parts were replaced.

The barrel and frame appear to have sub-inspector's marks indicating a government contract, but I didn't see any other inspector's marks, and there is no inspector's cartouche on the left grip. The condition of the grips leads me to believe that they are replacements.

The powder horn and the bullet mold are not Rem, and are after market, but no way to tell when they were paired with the pistol.

Hopefully this was of some help to you.
Enjoy your pistol,
Daniel
John Vroeg

Post by John Vroeg »

And one more question. How many of this series were made? Is it rare or not?

Regards John

aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi John,

If you mean how many Old (Elliot) Model Armies were made, about 10,000, but I don't know if that includes transition models form the Beals, or transitions to the New Model. If you mean how many were transitions, there is no way to know. Remington practice was to use up old parts before switching to the new parts, so there is a high probability that there were many transition models, maybe over a thousand, maybe more. Your gun has an early frame based on the rear, but the front frame cuts of a New Model There are no records to tell us when changes were made, or how many there were.

It isn't rare and it would be valued as an Old Model, unless the numbers are mismatched, then the value would be less than a matching Old Model.
Daniel
John Vroeg

Post by John Vroeg »

Ok Daniel, you helped me a lot in my search for the history of my Remington. If you have any more information, I would love to hear it. And when it gets back from my gunsmith I'll share more photos with you.

Ps how much blackpowder did they load in the civil war into a Remington .44

Regards John

aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi John,

Sorry, but can't help you with loading info. I haven't shot a BP revolver in 40+ years. There will be lots of online sites with good, up to date info on loading them, with both BP and modern substitutes. Good luck and let us know how they shoot.

Daniel
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

18 to 25 grains of FFF black powder should work fine. You may want to vary the loads to determine the most accurate. Enjoy!!