Remington Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Jimbo

Remington Rolling Block

Post by Jimbo »

I recently purchased a Remington rolling block rifle at an auction sale. The calibre stated at the sale was .44, however I don't know if that is correct. It appears to be a ringer for the rifle on page 55 of Roy Marcot's book " Remington Firearms" entitled heavy barrel rolling block which receives no mention in the text. The octagon barrel is not blued, instead is a silvery sheen. Tang markings are as follows:- Remington. Ilion N.Y. USA Pat'd May 5, 1864, May7, June11 Nov18 d? 656, 1872 Dec 31 1872 SF??1873 undecipherable . These are as I can make them out, there could be mistakes. The barrel is stamped on the left rear side 2972. Visually from the breech mechanism the cartridge would be fairly straight walled, diameter of the breech i.e.case diameter is .45, diameter at rim of case is .50, bore diameter at muzzle is .42. Keep in mind these measurements were made with a vernier caliper and are subject to + or - . the rifle does not have a case extractor, I assume it is broken or missing entirely as there appears to be space and provision for one. It is in fairly good shape except for some marring on the barrel near the muzzle where it seems the origonal front sight was replaced with a hooded sight by an amateur (marks have been made by tools). I would appreciate if you could identify this rifle as to model, calibre, and perhaps a guesstimate of its approximate value. Further, if I could possibly get a possible source for a casing extractor, ammunition(casings and loading data) as I would like to get this rifle to the point where I can fire it. Thanks
Jim
sheidland

Re: Remington Rolling Block

Post by sheidland »

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

In checking out the websites in the reply to my original posting, I discovered that the #4 was only chambered for rim-fire cartridges. The model i have is a centre-fire model, so I would assume it is not a model #4.
JimMill

Post by JimMill »

If possible post a pic of the rifle, that will make it easy to identify.

Jim
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

You'll need to figure out which model you have, and then what the caliber truly is. A chamber cast of the gun will determine for sure the caliber. Extractors are caliber specific, and without knowing what it is, you wont get the right extractor. Check the barrel in front of the forearm, underneath. That is where Rem. marked the caliber, so it should be there.-Vall