Remington New Model Pocket

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
BroGeo

Remington New Model Pocket

Post by BroGeo »

Here I am again considering another pre-1898 Remington pistol for purchase - this time, it is a New Model Pocket in .31 caliber. Was told it was original nickel finish, but I am not sure if it could be silver wash or just "in the white". It has a crisp, sharp action with no play. Serial is 4230, under the left grip & under the barrel. I assume with a relatively low serial number like this one has, it would be original percussion, but it is all iron (Type 3) versus all brass (Type 1) or brass/iron mix (Type 2). Overall length is 7.5" & barrel length is 3" with a five-shot cylinder; it also has just the 1858 patent date & "NEW MODEL" is missing on top of the barrel. Could it be an altered gun? Could it be silver finish versus nickel or "in the white"? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Right side
Right side
DSC00002.JPG (145.66 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Serial number under left grip
Serial number under left grip
DSC00005.JPG (140.29 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Left side with cylinder removed
Left side with cylinder removed
DSC00004.JPG (146.84 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Thanks!

BroGeo
BroGeo

Re: Remington New Model Pocket

Post by BroGeo »

I am wondering if anyone is going to respond to my questions; her they are again, in case I was not clear on my initial post:
• Does the pistol pictured above appear to be nickel finish, silver wash or just blued finish faded to “white”?
• It appears to be original percussion, but it is all iron (Type 3) versus all brass (Type 1) or brass/iron mix (Type 2) with a relatively low serial number – would that be correct?
• “NEW MODEL” does not appear on the barrel markings & only the 1858 patent date is listed – would that be an error that is common?
• With the low serial number, can it be assumed this pistol was made in the late 1860’s?
As before, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

BroGeo