new model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
rking

new model

Post by rking »

hello all
i have a remington new model. what was the old model,and how long did the nm remain in usage in the military.approximate dates of production of the new model,how many.
how do you tell what calibre a gun is? i know these may seem like dumb questions but i have to start somewhere. be good robert king
Mike Strietbeck

Re: new model

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Measure the length of the barrel from front of cylinder to end of barrel. 8 inches = Army, 7 1/2" = Navy
Measure the inside diameter of the cylinder bore. Approx .36" = Navy, approx. .44" = Army

Barrel Markings
--------------------
Beals revolvers
New Model revolvers

Beals’ U.S. Patent of September 14, 1858 (#21,478) covered the feature whereby the loading lever retained the cylinder pin. This feature allowed one to carry extra loaded cylinders and to exchange them with spent cylinders in a matter of seconds.
---------------------
Old Model revolvers
In 1861 another Remington designer, William M. Elliot, decided he could improve on Beals’ design by cutting a groove in the gun’s loading lever thereby allowing the cylinder pin to be drawn forward without lowering the lever (U.S. Patent #33,962 issued December 17, 1861). these were known as the Model of 1861 or "Old Model"
======================

Remington deliveries to U. S. Government - Civil War production numbers

Army Models (all combined) 148,550 - Final shipment March 1865
Navy Models (all combined) 19,800 - Final shipment December 1862

New Model Army - January 1863 - March 1865
New Model Navy - June 1862 - December 1864
=======================

The definitive work on these revolvers was done by Don Ware and is published in his book,

"Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888"
448 pages, 198 halftones hardcover 978-0-8263-4280-5

I highly recommend this book for your personal library.

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
rking

Re: new model

Post by rking »

thank you very much.
robert king