Derringer Need Help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
hatredy

Derringer Need Help

Post by hatredy »

Hey guys I havn't had much sucess with a solid answer on the exact model of this gun or price point. I recieved it through a friend and am in charge of selling it. The top reads Remington Arms--U.M.C. CO. ILION, N.Y. The serial is L90XXX The hinge is uncracked, here are so pictures.

DavidFagan

Re: Derringer Need Help

Post by DavidFagan »

Well the barrel release arm assembled on the wrong side :D Also it seems clear this gun was totally disassembled and reassembled due to the pin for it. I suspect this is when it was refinished. I would like to see good pictures of the top of the barrel and a closer picture of the right side where the release SHOULD be to say for absolute sure but it's already close to 100% sure on the refinishing. Nickel UMC's are bit on the scarce side and the hammer but the trigger are normally not done, the way to really tell is you can also see the proof stamped through the nickel on the right. I don't see a proof there at all might have been buffed off. The clearest and most obvious location to identify buffing is the top of the barrel. As refinished this has no collector value but is a shooter. With a serial starting with L this is certainly made after 1922 so there should be letters on the locking lug to identify it's date of manufacture.

Oh there is differing opinions on how these are classified, blue book is one way flayderman's is the other however with UMC on the top it's pretty clear. In my book I call this a 3rd model 4th type.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
remington600

Post by remington600 »

I would say some new screws and has been refinished.
hatredy

Post by hatredy »

I don't know if this will help any but its a picture I had taken awhile ago however its not a very good one.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

yes a wee bit fuzzy to tell...

So what I was looking for was the edges they should be clean sharp right angles, no roundness to them. Sometimes you can even tell just by the look of the lettering if not certainly by the feel...

If you going to sell it there is some people that don't care and I also think now dixie gunworks makes some kind of substitute ammo you can use in them because the original is very hard to find and way to expensive to shoot and even the run that was made (10-15?) years ago is harder to find and also has gotten expensive.

If I were you I'd put good pictures on gunbroker list it with a no reserve of between $350-500 and let the market figure it out (it's an auction). I originally thought 500 no reserve but it may not go then again I could be wrong....
Remember this is a FFL firearm, you do not need a FFL (personally) to send it but you must receive a signed copy from the FFL your sending it to and to the address on that copy! There are online sites to verify FFLs (free). Of course if your selling in your own state (hand to hand/not mail) your state rules apply.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer