Remington New Model Police Percussion vs. Conversion ID

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
BroGeo

Remington New Model Police Percussion vs. Conversion ID

Post by BroGeo »

Hello all...

I am considering purchasing an 1858 Remington New Model Police percussion revolver from a friend, but wanted to confirm a couple of things prior to tendering an offer; here is what I already know about the pistol: serial number 13233 on the underside of the barrel under the loading lever (is this the only one?); overall brown/gray patina with traces of original blue in recessed areas on frame in front of cylinder on left side & behind cylinder near hammer (overall, less that 10% original blue present); case-coloring no longer evident on hammer; numerous nicks on barrel, frame & cylinder, but not unsightly; action mechanically tight/good; loading lever screw replaced with what appears to be a custom machined one that is a bit too long & protrudes slightly on the left side; stocks of walnut with sparse varnish remaining, but complete. Based upon Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms & their Values, 9th Edition, I believe this would be classified in "GOOD" to "VERY GOOD" condition.
What I specifically wanted to know was if there is anyway to determine whether this pistol was originally percussion ONLY (scarce & slightly higher value per Flayderman's) or if it was converted to cartridge & the additional cylinder is missing (-20% per Flayderman's)? I read that the frame was altered as well during conversion, but do not know how to tell. Based upon the serial number, I would guess the manufacture date would be @1870? I can post some pics, if needed. Any information would be highly appreciated. :?:
Attachments
218078570885.jpg
218078570885.jpg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
Last edited by BroGeo on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks!

BroGeo
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: Remington New Model Police Percussion vs. Conversion ID

Post by Jay Huber »

Most original percussion revolvers that were converted to cartridge will be a low serial number, Usually they added a two or three digit number to the original serial number which became the conversion number. You should find the serial number also under the trigger guard when removed on the tab that interlocks it into the frame, and under the grips on the left side of the frame. Usually a conversion number is put here if were converted. Since your gun has a high serial I believe it was made as a cartridge gun originally. Jay Huber RSA
BroGeo

Post by BroGeo »

Thanks Jay!

I checked under the tab on the trigger guard, the number there was 233 and under the left-hand grip, the number there was 13233. Would that mean the conversion number is 233 or just the last three (3) digits of the serial? Would the percussion cylinder be marked with the same number & where?
Last edited by BroGeo on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!

BroGeo
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

That is the last three digits of the serial number on the tab. The percussion cylinder probably isn't marked since it is an accessory that could be bought as en extra for the gun Jay Huber
BroGeo

Post by BroGeo »

Jay:

Thanks again for the information!
I have run into another anomaly: the pistol I have has a five(5) shot cylinder & 4.5" barrel like you would expect to find on the Remington New Model Police revolver; however, the markings on the barrel are those found on the Remington New Model S/A Belt revolver, see below:
PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858
E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, NEW YORK U.S.A.
NEW MODEL
(the patent date of MARCH 17, 1863 is missing). I have included some pictures that might be helpful in this identification.
Attachments
218082481285.jpg
218082481285.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
218082391173.jpg
218082391173.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
218082314501.jpg
218082314501.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Thanks!

BroGeo
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

From the pictures, the gun looks OK to me. I would say that the stamping is a factoy error in that some worker picked up the wrong roll die. They were making the belt models in the same period. Jay