Is this a remington?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
t moore

Is this a remington?

Post by t moore »

Have acquired a side by side shotgun with almost all of the name on the top of the barrel obliterated. Believe it says ILION which made me think of you.
It is an auto-eject double barrel; exposed hammers; with the following identifiers:
Serial number 110xx is on the frame; stamped on a screw on the frame, stamped inside the latch on the frame, and on the barrel and forend.
The number 52 is stamped on the frame and inside the latch on the frame
The number 119 is stamped on the frame, on the forend, and on the barrel (piece that the forend attaches to.)
On the frame is the wording "PATENT" "Aug 8 1871" & "Apr 16, 1872"
It has a steel butt plate and the stock is checkered on the grip but the forend is not.
Looking at Blue book I think it might be a model 1882 but the descrption says forend is not checkered, though I guess that could have rubbed off from use but the grip checkering is clear.

What is this??
huber4447@bellsouth.net

Identification

Post by huber4447@bellsouth.net »

I don't think your shotgun is a Remington. I am not aware oy Remington providing auto ejectors on their hammer guns.
huber4447@bellsouth.net

Identification

Post by huber4447@bellsouth.net »

The more I study your write up I thnk you are correct in that the serial number fits an 1882Model and the patent dates are for a Remington. I think you are calling extractors auto ejectors