Remington 870 Skeet

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Juniper

Remington 870 Skeet

Post by Juniper »

I found this sight while looking for information on a Remington 870 Skeet 20 guage, 2 3/4" or shorter. I am making my first post in hopes of obtaining additional information on this shotgun. I have a Remington 870 20 guage with vent rib barrel, with two beads; one steel silver bead half way up and on large white bead on the end of rib. Barrel measures approx. 25.5" from muzzle to front edge of ejection port. Both loading port and bolt are chromed. Pistol grip has a flying duck on cap and buttplate is black plastic marked Remington. The stock has diamond checkering with the forearm having one horizontal groove on each side. Stock also has very highly figured wood, more so than any 870 I have looked at in the past. Markings on left side of barrel appear to read A K O?, Serial # has no letter prefix and is six numbers with an X on the end; 8084--X. Receiver is marked with Remington Wingmaster Model 870. I saw this shotgun in a shop several weeks ago and looked it over closely as I was interested in a possible 20 guage shooter for upland game. I really liked the beautiful stock and vent rib, but when I read SKEET on the left side of the barrel I was uncertain as to what type of pattern it would produce. I left it there until I read in Jack Oconnor's book about the skeet pattern being very effective for upland game out to 30 yards. I went back to find the shotgun still available and at price less than a good used 870 express, so yes I bought it. It appears all original, with the bluing on receiver and barrel showing very little wear. The stock appears to have a glossy finish with some flaking of the finish, but very solid. Any information anyone may provide would be welcome. I tried to figure out the manufacture dates from the codes on this sight, but can see 2 different years it could be from the letter K and can only guess if its from 1970's or 1990's? I am not a Remington collector and am just wondering what I have? Thanks for any replies!
redhawk44

Re: Remington 870 Skeet

Post by redhawk44 »

What you have is a skeet model made in about '62 or '63.

The barrel should have a serial number on it that matches the receiver.

I have one quite similar, mine is a '55 gun. Good wood factory cutts comp.

The only thing I don't understand is your discription of the forend. As I read it, no checkering. Is that it?

I think that both the buttstock and the forend should have checkering. If you paid a price equivilent to that of an express model, you got a very good bargain.

And yes, Jack Oconnor had it right. Out to 30 to 35 yds, depending on the loads and the shot size, it will be quite effectine in the uplands.

And of course, you can always put another barrel on it, but this is a so0called "large frame" gun, meaning that if was built on the same sizw frame that the 12 ga. guns are, so make sure--if you do buy another barrel--that you get the right one. The one that fits your gun will allow a quarter to pass through the ring that attaches it to the magazine tube.
Redhawk
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

What you probably have is an 870 SC. The basic 870 skeet gun was the 870 SA which was essentally the field gun with a vent rib skeet choked barrel with middle and front sights. The 870 SC had much nicer wood and cut checkering. I got a 20-gauge 870 SC back in 1974 when the Chugach Rod & Gun Club got in a shipment of five 20-gauge 870 SC Skeet Guns. I snooped thru all five boxes and took the one with the very best wood. The serial number on the gun I had was prefaced with an S and ended with an X -- S9239xxX.
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Thank you for the replies. Redhawk44 both the forearm and buttstock have diamond cut checkering and have more color variation in the wood grain than any other Remington I have personally seen . Thank you for the information in regards to the large frame, I may want to add an additional barrel one day and I probably would have chose the wrong one. My best guess from the K on left side of the barrel may place it made around 73', but that is from a very novice study from this sight and it appears I may be incorrect in my guess. I cannot find a matching serial # on the barrel, but have not dissassembled to see if anything is stamped on the bottom under the forearm. Researcher, is the 870 SC marked as Remington 870 Wingmaster? I did notice that on the side of the receiver between the "Remington" and "Wingmaster" there is also stamped what looks like a round target with an inner ring and a bullseye. I am wondering if this may indicate target or skeet designation? This also may be on every 870 marking? Thank you again very much for the replies and the information. Though I will enjoy using this gun I do have an interest in learning all I can about it's orgin and details.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I don't have the gun anymore. So, I can't say how it was marked. I passed it on to a fellow shooter when I lived on the other side of the continent.
redhawk44

Post by redhawk44 »

The serial number would be on the underside of the barrel under the forend.

My gun is stamped 870 SC on the receiver and the serial number ends qith an X.
Redhawk
bksht

Post by bksht »

What a great find! If you ever feel the need to part with it...