Need help to identify rolling block rifle. NEW INFO ADDED.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
texas shooter

Need help to identify rolling block rifle. NEW INFO ADDED.

Post by texas shooter »

Remington arms could not help me and sent me to all of you for help.
I just got a Rem. rolling block from my farther-in-law, but he had took in trade many years ago and never knew what it was. Sorry I have no pics of it but I hope this info. will help you to help me.
1. Says Remington Arms Co. Ilian, N.Y. on top of the hex barrel.
2. Has 32 W stamped on bottom of barrel in front of fore stock.
3. Serial # 31957 on lower metal part off receiver that holds stock on and on barrel under the fore stock.
4. Several pat. # on receiver last one is Sept. 9, 1873.
5. 25" hex barrel.
6. 40" overall.
7. 12 to 13" stock depends on how measured.
8. Stock comes off gun then goes up on top, it curves more down than being a straight stock.
9. Rear butt plate is curved and metal, going up on top of the stock.
10. Receiver is 1" wide and from front of it or end of barrel to the place where rolling block rests is approx. 1 1/8" long.
This is all I know I don't know model or even calib. I think a .32 winchester?
The working of the gun are great, no rust or pits in barrel, block, trigger, hammer all smooth and even the knurl on them is good. Stocks are good no cracks or bad places.
Bad thing is someone before he got it took off all the blueing to bare
metal. Is this worth restoring? Who would do this? Thanks for any help.
I removed the stock yesterday to clean this up good.
On the tabs, or tangs? that slip over stock top and bottom to hold it on. There is a # 152 on the left side of both of these. I also noticed that the fore stock has a darker wood insert at the very end. Does this help on the year ?
Last edited by texas shooter on Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjack

Re: Need help to identify rolling block rifle.

Post by tjack »

Sounds like you have what is known as the No 2 Rolling Block. The description in your #8 sounds like you are describing the butt stock/ receiver fitting. The No 2 has a very pronounced curve to the union. That and the caliber: .32W. Probably .32-20 WCF cal. IF it were mine and the bore was real nice, I'd have the barrel reblued. The receiver was color case hardened. That may be just faded rather than being "striped". I'm not sure that that can be done(?).
Floop

Post by Floop »

I am having my RRB #1 restored by Jim Dubell at Delta Gun Shop in Colville, WA. He's just finishing up with the job. The last steps are blueing the barrel and blocks, and case coloring the receiver and buttplate. The cost has been quite reasonable and the work so far has been breathtaking. You can find Delta Gun Shop at: http://www.deltagunshop.com/aboutus.html
Floop
texas shooter

Post by texas shooter »

Thanks for both replies and help gents. I will check Delta out. Got gun show this weekend may take it and ask around there. I really want to find out the year made also. THANKS AGAIN!
texas shooter

Re: Need help to identify rolling block rifle. NEW INFO ADDED.

Post by texas shooter »

It is a .32-20 WCF and I added some to info on my post above.
It has thr #'s 152 on the metal that holds the stock on.
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

The model 2 was made from 1873 to 1910. I do not have info on where the serial number might be or what years the serial number indicates.
Mountaineers are always Free
Tony Kastella

Post by Tony Kastella »

A gunsmith by the name of Allen K. Horst of Great Falls Montana is pretty darn good at remaking any old rife but rather nice at these old remington rolling blocks. a couple of his rifles can be seen for sale on gunbroker.com. They are being sold by a Pawnshop called Lakota Pawn and sell for several thousand dollars.