Whats wrong with my extractor on this old 1889 12 guage?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Bravo 26

Whats wrong with my extractor on this old 1889 12 guage?

Post by Bravo 26 »

Hi folks,

I have an old grade 2 1889 12 gauge SxS shotgun. it was missing the extractor, but was otherwise complete, and in pretty decent shape for being over 100yrs old.

i checked numrich gun parts, and lo and behold, they had one! i ordered it and it came today. i slid right in, but it wont move at all...it doesn't extract anything :)

taking a closer look, it seems to be missing a screw in the middle.

i don't know if there is a spring that goes in there, or where to find that screw. also, it seems that with the extractor now in place, the locking lever on the top of the receiver will NOT fully engage.

any advice you fellas can give me? I'm a modern gun guy - AR's, M14's, etc...not a lot of experience with the old classics, but i gotta tell ya, this old double gun is BEGGING to be shot again...i have to get her working, and then go coyote hunting with her :)

let me know if you guys need more pics and i will be happy to provide!

Thanks folks!

-B26
dieNusse1

Re: Whats wrong with my extractor on this old 1889 12 guage?

Post by dieNusse1 »

Judging from the picture of the barrel lugs, you are missing the cam that fits between the slot on the forward lug and operates the extractor. You are also missing the screw that holds the cam in place in addition to the screw that holds the extractor in place.

I may have these out in the garage. I'll check to see if I still have the parts on hand.
Bravo 26

Post by Bravo 26 »

If you have them, i will gladly purchase them. just let me know.

thanks!!!
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I have the three parts: the cam, cam pivot screw and extractor retaining screw. If you wish, please go to my email and we can discuss. jmeier356@gmail.com

Jerry
Bravo 26

Post by Bravo 26 »

email sent Sir.... thanks for the help!.