another neophyte question - identical smoot serial #s

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
jgabriel

another neophyte question - identical smoot serial #s

Post by jgabriel »

Hello all again from the new guy.
I was tickled a long time ago with a smoot #2 purchase that the person sold to me as serial #1818 - turned out to be serial #18 (I confess I did not send it back). He had misunderstood that the number was repeated across the two frame halves.

Last year I spotted another smoot #2 that someone was selling that claimed the same serial #18. I challenged him (politely! :D ), wondering if he had serial #81. I asked him to check again for the number - viewed from the interior of the grip frame (tops of numbers toward outside of frame) and to look for it duplicated right across the joint between upper and lower frames ............... he said, "Yup, serial #18".

Can anyone please shed some light on this apparent dilemma? Many thanks!
John
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: another neophyte question - identical smoot serial #s

Post by Jay Huber »

First of all are you sure they are both #2's. If so I would write it off to factory error. It isn't the first time I have heard of number duplication in Smoots. Jay Huber RSA
jgabriel

Re: another neophyte question - identical smoot serial #s

Post by jgabriel »

Hi Jay,
I've been away for some time and just now getting back. Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I verified from his photos that his smoot has the longer cartrdige slot and pinned ejector assembly as does my #2. Interesting that they made these numbering errors - I can't feel so special at having a low serial numbered gun, if someone else turns up with the same number, especially if there were only 3000 or so of these made (as someone said - I don't know).
Best,
John