Rolling block with a wiping stick???

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Longknife

Rolling block with a wiping stick???

Post by Longknife »

Hello, I'm new here, lots of good Remington info!!!! I have a question, I picked up a 45-70 rolling block rifle someone was building on an original action. They had provisions to attach thimbles for a wiping stick, and the forend was drilled for one too. Did Remington ever do this? THANKS, Ed
Tony Kastella

Re: Rolling block with a wiping stick???

Post by Tony Kastella »

Hello, I do not know much about what you are asking but as a new rolling block shooter I was thinking maybe i need to get a wood dowl about the same diameter as my barrel to use it as a cleaning stick after each shot! thanks for the idea! Tony K
charlielima

Post by charlielima »

Longknife wrote:Hello, I'm new here, lots of good Remington info!!!! I have a question, I picked up a 45-70 rolling block rifle someone was building on an original action. They had provisions to attach thimbles for a wiping stick, and the forend was drilled for one too. Did Remington ever do this? THANKS, Ed
Little late answer, but am FNG so just found it.
What little I have been able to find, no mention of a RB as you describe, but Ballard equipped their #5 Pacific & #5 1/2 Montana models with thimbles & a wiping stick.
Since most rifle Mfgs. in the late 1800's would build pretty much what a customer wanted, who's to say it couldn't happen?

"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
unknown.
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
unknown
john hamilton

Post by john hamilton »

Please don't use a dowel as a wiping stick or ram rod. It will splinter if stressed and long, sharp pieces will go into your hand.

All of the old gun places like Dixie Arms carry hickory ramrods which are flexible and strong.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Remington did not offer a model like the Ballard #5 Pacific with wiping rod, but there were guns built by gunsmiths in the late 1800's called "Gemmer" style Rolling Blocks, which used a stock and wiping rod in thimbles as you described.-Vall
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

I could never figure out why not. Husqvarna (who took rolling blocks to new heights and varieties) offered several sporting models that were fullstocked and had wooden cleaning rods. I have three: No 1 in 12.7x44R; No 4 in 20 gauge rifle; and Model 33 in 9.5x47R. All are extremely well made.
Attachments
Model 33 in 9.5x47R.  It has Norsk target sights
Model 33 in 9.5x47R. It has Norsk target sights
new 33 007.jpg (121.34 KiB) Viewed 6920 times
No 1 in 12.7x44R
No 1 in 12.7x44R
No.1 after.JPG (112.19 KiB) Viewed 6920 times
No. 4 in 20 gauge rifle
No. 4 in 20 gauge rifle
No 4 20 Full.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 6918 times
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey Rudy! Nice Husqvarna rolling blocks! I also have one of the T33A rollers, and it's as good as it gets in my opinion! I love the Huskies!
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

Hey Marlinman. I had a couple of pistol grip models, but when I saw the 33 with straight wrist and target sights, I traded them off. I have let a couple of others slip from my grasp, such as this MONSTER ROLLER (No 27 with a HUGE 36" barrel in 500/450 Express). But it was a beast to even haul to the range.
Side view.
Side view.
L full.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
No 27, No 1 and Model 33
No 27, No 1 and Model 33
fulls 2.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
Bores.
Bores.
bores4.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Stop please! I can't stand it! :wink: I'd just about trade off a bunch for any one of those!

The Gemmer or Ballard look seems sexy but wood ramrods pick up dirt and its probably not a good idea excelpt for show. In other words, wipe the bore with a safe rod when no one is looking. :D
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Yellowhouse wrote:Stop please! I can't stand it! :wink: I'd just about trade off a bunch for any one of those!

The Gemmer or Ballard look seems sexy but wood ramrods pick up dirt and its probably not a good idea excelpt for show. In other words, wipe the bore with a safe rod when no one is looking. :D
The Hukies don't have wooden rods, they are steel!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Rudy,
I love that big old hevy barreled one there! Not too practical for carrying, but it sure has a great look to it!
I'm getting ready to build up another #1 from the Sporting rifle action I just acquired. I plan to put a pretty heavy, long, .40-65 Green Mountain barrel on it. Hadn't thought of another full stocked gun, but now that's another option I'll have to think about!
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

marlinman93 wrote:
Yellowhouse wrote:Stop please! I can't stand it! :wink: I'd just about trade off a bunch for any one of those!

The Hukies don't have wooden rods, they are steel!
The big bore ones have wooden rods. I have seen pics of originals. The M33 had a smaller metal rod. I have seen them mostly in brass, but these are replacements.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Rudy! I've never seen the big bores, and my T33A is a steel rod.
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

marlinman93 wrote:Rudy,
I love that big old hevy barreled one there! Not too practical for carrying, but it sure has a great look to it!
I'm getting ready to build up another #1 from the Sporting rifle action I just acquired. I plan to put a pretty heavy, long, .40-65 Green Mountain barrel on it. Hadn't thought of another full stocked gun, but now that's another option I'll have to think about!
Before I stumbled into my No 1 fullstock, I had been desperately looking for an early No 4 in 12.7x44R. No luck, so I put together all of the components except for wood and was going to have a gunsmith bbuild me one. But then the round barrel No 1 came along for a good trade and I took that and put a bunch of money into its restoration. Then I found the No 4 in 20 gauge rifle!!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm a bit confused Rudy? Isn't the #4 a small framed Roller in .22 or .32 rimfire? Or is there another "#4 Danish" that I don't know about?
My #4 is a little guy, not suitable for anything but .22RF. As you can see a lot smaller than my Hepburns: