Help Date Rem Derringer 41 RF Please (pics)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
dingus

Help Date Rem Derringer 41 RF Please (pics)

Post by dingus »

OK i got this Derringer its a 41 RF heres a picture of the Barrel top.
It has the Crisscross Checkering on the Hammer spur.
Its ser # 129
I understyand these were made from 1888 to 1912 or so but im hopeing these a way to date the ones made before 1898???
Thanks Mark.

Click on picture to enlarge.
DavidFagan

Re: Help Date Rem Derringer 41 RF Please (pics)

Post by DavidFagan »

dingus wrote:OK i got this Derringer its a 41 RF heres a picture of the Barrel top.
It has the Crisscross Checkering on the Hammer spur.
Its ser # 129
I understyand these were made from 1888 to 1912 or so but im hopeing these a way to date the ones made before 1898???
Thanks Mark.

Click on picture to enlarge.
The only ones you can assuredly date pre-1899 of this type/model is the first variation "short-line" which is also the only one with a real serial number, this is not and that is a batch no. There's two camps on how people sell these, the first and honestly seldom seen is dealers that require a FFL for any firearm that accepts a cartridge, the second vast majority of sellers is I can't tell and no-one else can including the authorities and they are sold pre-1899 and non-FFL. I'm not making any recommendation or endorsing either it's just what appears to be commonly accepted practice in the market for this Type/Model. Being original ammo will cost a fortune and even the run of (black hills?) late 90's? is hard to find and expensive I don't think this is high area of concern. Besides actually hitting anything with them is a challenge ;)
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
dingus

Post by dingus »

OK thanks thats what i figgered. But best to be sure.

So it could be made in 1888 or 1911 or any year in between. :?
Oh well as long as someone CANT say its post 1898 for certin im happy.
Im in Canada and we can have any Pre 1898 Pistols in any RF caliber except 22. with no licence or registration.

Im gona shoot it tho! as i have a Antique 41 long Colt and the 41 LC cases cut short fit just perfect.
Fill the primer hole with a brass disc sodered in.
Then drill a hole off center for a 22 short blank Cap and i have a shootable case. loader up with BP and a Rd ball.
Better than paying $5 each for the Dixie gunworks cases.

my gun has mint bores so i hope to hit a balloon at 15 ft :wink:
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

dingus wrote:OK thanks thats what i figgered. But best to be sure.

So it could be made in 1888 or 1911 or any year in between. :?
Oh well as long as someone CANT say its post 1898 for certin im happy.
Im in Canada and we can have any Pre 1898 Pistols in any RF caliber except 22. with no licence or registration.

Im gona shoot it tho! as i have a Antique 41 long Colt and the 41 LC cases cut short fit just perfect.
Fill the primer hole with a brass disc sodered in.
Then drill a hole off center for a 22 short blank Cap and i have a shootable case. loader up with BP and a Rd ball.
Better than paying $5 each for the Dixie gunworks cases.

my gun has mint bores so i hope to hit a balloon at 15 ft :wink:
Any Pre-1899 in anything but a 22 RF and your building ammo with a 22 RF, if the wording said designed for 22 I would be ok but if it says fires, uses, or shoots 22 RF I wouldn't want to stand in front of the judge. Good luck popping balloons ;)
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
dingus

Post by dingus »

the 22 cap is just the primer.
I can use a 27 cal hilti cap in my brass if i thought it was a Problem.
Its not tho.

Dixie gunworks sells the 41 RF special made brass that uses a 22 Cap to fire off the black powder and 41 Caliber bullet.
If anyone wants to load and shoot there old derringers now they can. :)