Pocket Conversion ID?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Sam Johnson

Pocket Conversion ID?

Post by Sam Johnson »

I need some information about my Remington New Model. Here is what I know: On the barrel in three lines is: patented Sep 14 1858, Mar 17 1868
E. Remingto & Son Illon NY
New Model
Serial number on the barrel is 5404 and on the grip frame is 5433. 4.5 inch oct barrel, brass trigger guard with plateing, walnut grips with two cylinders. .38 cal rim fire and cap & ball. Would like to know what size round ball and what black powder charge to use. Date of mfg and a good book for values.
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: Pocket Conversion ID?

Post by Jay Huber »

You have a Remington Police Model,36 Cal. with a 38 cal. conversion cylinder. The barrel has been changed since the serial number doesn't match the frame. This may have been done by the factory to use parts inventory. I don''t have serial number records for this gun so I can't establish a date of manufacture, They were made starting in 1866. As to a ball size I would say use a 36 cal. ball. I don't have any record of the black powder quantity to use but I am sure you could find out if a Black Powder Loading book. I note that a 38cal. rim fire short cartridge used 18 grains of black powder which would be OK for cap and ball. Jay Huber RSA. PS Shoot at your own risk since I have no idea as to the condition of the gun.
Sam Johnson

Re: Pocket Conversion ID?

Post by Sam Johnson »

Jay Huber thanks very much for your reply. I will for sure have the gun inspected by gunsmith prior to any shooting.